Please take a look

pjc86

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2002
first guys, i would like to thank everyone who responded to my previous thread. Now I have another question/request, To all you experienced system builders and component owners, how does this setup look.

P4 1.8 ghz northwood cpu
256 mb DDR Ram (crucial)
Abit BD-7 RAID MoBo
Western Digital 40 gig 7200 RPM HD
VisiokTek GF4 4600
Phillips Acoustic Edge Sound Card
Antec SX1040B SOHO File Mid-Tower Server Case (Black)
A1119 P4 Volcano 478 Intel CPU Cooling Fan

Thanks guys.

pjc86

FatBurger

Illustrious
An RDRAM platform will out-perform a DDR platform, hands-down.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Yes but those were hand picked memory modules from the manufacturer. Meaning the ones you buy off the shelf will most likely not run at those speeds. Also they are not available to the public at this time.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not so... Check out Memman.com

Corsair PC2700 CAS2 333 MHz 256 meg for $115... Slightly cheaper than Rambus.

I'd say that's here and now!

Scout

kusek

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
If you want a P4 you don't want DDR. Check around and read up a bit. I think the Samsung RDRAM's are cheaper anyway now and are supposed to OC to 1066. The Abit TH7II m/b is supposedly the best m/b when it comes to oc'ing too. It will let you lock the AGP/PCI at 66/33 Mhz while allowing you to raise the FSB. Also I would go for the cheaper 1.6A(because it is underated by Intel) since it has been proven tp go to at least 2.2 GHz with the retail HSF.

<font color=green>"No Thoroughbred for you! Come back, 2 weeks."</font color=green>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
You want to get two of <A HREF="http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80450-1" target="_new">these</A> 128MB Samsung low-density PC800 RDRAM modules ($37 each), and either one of <A HREF="http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=240004" target="_new">these</A> motherboards if you are going to overclock or one of <A HREF="http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=240809" target="_new">these</A> if you are not. (You can also go for the Abit motherboard without the RAID for about $20 less.)

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was comparing the price of CORSAIR DDR with Corsair Rambus memory. The good stuff is gonna cost you over $100. You can get cheaper... but you can also put regular unleaded in your Ferrari and see if it pings!

Scout

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was comparing the price of CORSAIR DDR with Corsair Rambus memory. The good stuff is gonna cost you over $100. You can get cheaper... but you can also put regular unleaded in your Ferrari and see if it pings!

Scout

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
The "good stuff" is Samsung, not Corsair. Corsair only has decent DDR SDRAM. It does not have good RDRAM.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dunno... The Corsair's more expensive though. I admit, I've never used Rambus, if you say the "good stuff" is Samsung, it must be so!

Scout

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yes, the good stuff is Samsung, which is around $80 per 256MB stick, putting it well below the PC2700 you mentioned.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Take a look at <A HREF="http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?s=b42c31fac738eedc46aea8c8013cf325&threadid=5874" target="_new">this thread</A> from Corsair's website. Note the following from "RAM GUY", the Corsair representative: "We don't sell any RAMBUS for overclocking at this point, and I honestly don't forsee it in the future."

(By the way, it would be best to ignore everything else stated in that thread. The people who post in that forum are either resellers of DDR SDRAM or DDR fans. Their comments on Rambus and RDRAM are inaccurate.)

-Raystonn

FatBurger

Illustrious
As a rule of thumb, I don't listen to anyone who says "Rambus" instead of "RDRAM". It may sound stupid, but overall people who know what they're talking about say "RDRAM" and those who don't say "Rambus". (The exception being when they're talking about the actual company, of course.)

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You know, it's interesting Fatburger when people want to pick on something like RDRAM vs. Rambus as though that makes everything said incorrect. The memory IS quite correctly called Rambus memory, in fact it is listed as such on the Memory Man web site. So I think you're in the minority with your concern on my reference.

You know, come to think of it, why is it that the ONLY chipset that even uses Rambus memory is the Intel 850, who so faithfully pushed it for all that time it was terribly expensive? If it's such a good design, why don't the other chipset manufacturers support it? Humm... must be something there about the future of RDRAM, you think?

Scout
A fool and his money are soon parted... Aaargh, I HATE it when that happens!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Rambus calls it RDRAM, I don't care what the Memory Man calls it.
I wasn't picking on you, I was just giving you a word of advice for when you're looking for information.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well RDRAM = Rambus Dynamic Random Access Memory so I don't see anything think wrong with calling it Rambus.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Pointless, PC333 is already at the edge. You can overclock Samsung RDRAM to PC1066 speed. And the P4 1.8 goes straight to 2400 at 133MHz FSB. In order to do that with DDR333, you would have to further lower its clock ratio, negating the gains of overclocking in the first place. Before you say "well they never mentioned overclocking", this happens, but eventually most of the people in here who are not already overclocking will, no need to eliminate that option.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?