[SOLVED] "Please wait" shows for a few seconds after restarting PC ?

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Hi everyone,

I have a new MSI laptop. The device turns on fine with fast startup enabled. But I have noticed that when I restart the device, after the logo screen it goes to "Please wait" for literally a second before it prompts me to login to Windows. Do I need to be concerned or is this normal?

Thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
Lets see if its windows:

right click start
choose windows terminal (admin)
if it doesn't open as powershell, click the drop down arrow in title line and pick from list
copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Could try updating drivers/windows.

Reactions: OnlyAlex

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Lets see if its windows:

right click start
choose windows terminal (admin)
if it doesn't open as powershell, click the drop down arrow in title line and pick from list
copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Could try updating drivers/windows.
Thanks, I have followed the above steps and restarted the device and 'please wait' showed for a second. I have updated all drivers. There were no integrity violations.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what model MSI laptop is it?

lets see if it happens in safe mode
  1. go to settings/system/recovery
  2. next to advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

I wouldn't worry, its probably just software.

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
what model MSI laptop is it?

lets see if it happens in safe mode
  1. go to settings/system/recovery
  2. next to advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
I wouldn't worry, its probably just software.

Nope, doesn't happen in safe mode which makes me think Windows is fine as it is a new laptop and is software based? It's an MSI Katana GF66.

- fast start up enabled
- restart / fast start up disabled

Colif

Win 11 Master
So it only shows on a cold boot.
Fast startup puts PC into a hybrid shutdown state meaning when you restart PC its waking from a hibernation and doesn't have to reload drivers from scratch. Turning it off means PC is actually off when you shut it down.
So one of your drivers or devices is just a little slow on startup.

Could try running this to see if any newer Intel drivers - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
So it only shows on a cold boot.
Fast startup puts PC into a hybrid shutdown state meaning when you restart PC its waking from a hibernation and doesn't have to reload drivers from scratch. Turning it off means PC is actually off when you shut it down.
So one of your drivers or devices is just a little slow on startup.

Could try running this to see if any newer Intel drivers - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
Thanks for the explanation. So I did this the other day and it updated and then device manager wanted to install an update and Intel support assistant said that the driver was ready to update again after device manager installing an update. Wasn't sure because of OEM drivers. Do I need to worry too much ? I don't want to reinstall Windows.

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
what driver is it wanting to reinstall twice?
The Intel driver. I went onto the site and did the download update assistant and it said there was an update so I downloaded it but it said something about OEM. I presume that's why after downloading Intel update through their website and not OEM device manager wanted to update again when I searched on device manager.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Why did you search again in device manager after updating drivers?

I wonder what is installed now

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/image-posting-via-imgur.3773266/)

Do I need to worry too much ? I don't want to reinstall Windows.
You're worrying about a message, that appears literally for a half of a second.

So far you have tried
repairing windows,​
booting in safe mode and now​
thinking about diagnosing drivers,​
thinking about reinstalling windows.​
What else? OCD much?
I'm surprised out honorable moderators are encouraging this.

Disable fast startup and forget about it.

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
You're worrying about a message, that appears literally for a half of a second.

So far you have tried
repairing windows,​
booting in safe mode and now​
thinking about diagnosing drivers,​
thinking about reinstalling windows.​
What else? OCD much?
I'm surprised out honorable moderators are encouraging this.

Disable fast startup and forget about it.
I'm really sorry, I do have OCD and I have had a bereavement recently. I apologise. Thank you everyone for helping me.