Plenty of memory, but computer will crash/freeze when using more memory intensive programs

me1324

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017
16gb ram, GTX 1080 gpu, Ryzen 5 cpu, Windows 10. This is a pc I've built a year ago.

So when using programs like Adobe Photoshop, my computer may end up freezing/crashing and I'll have to manually power it off. This shouldn't be happening b/c I also use my lesser laptop (8gb ram) which does the same thing w/o freezing/crashing.

The main things taking up memory are Google Chrome tabs (could have ten open) and then the Adobe program. Normally 4gb of ram are taken up b/c Windows 10.

Also, another possible indication of it being a memory problem: I've been newly modding Skyrim which crashes to desktop b/c of mods sometimes. However, there are instances where it will not crash specifically b/c I've closed my Chrome tabs. Also it is less likely to crash after restarting my computer.

I'd appreciate any help, it's a pain in the butt. :)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have you done any troubleshooting?

Whats your system specs and have you overclocked anything?

I would suggest system is unstable. Could be software or hardware.

Is Windows a fresh install? Are chipset drivers installed?

If crashing is memory related, boot with memtest86 on a usb (Fat32 format) and run the test for a few and hope it passes with no errors.

https://www.memtest86.com

If memory is showing problems, bios may need to be updated or more dram voltage applied.

me1324

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017
RAM is
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Motherboard is:
Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard

Edit: Thanks for helping

me1324

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017

Realized I didn't directly reply to you. Repasting here:

RAM is
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Motherboard is:
Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard

Edit: Thanks for helping

I agree with what @boju said.

Jump into your BIOS and check the version, RAM speed setting, voltage.

me1324

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017

I hope I've covered my specs? Nothing is overclocked.

I forget what a fresh install is. I got Win10 from kinguin.net

"Are chipset drivers installed?" Not sure what those are.

I'll try that boot thing. Thank you.

me1324

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017

I booted memtest from the Bios. After showing a window saying that it was checking stuff, it just started up my computer like normal. Did this twice.

Does that mean I'm in the clear?

boju

Titan
Ambassador

No it doesn't mean you're in the clear. Memtest should continue for hours or you can exit after a couple of passes which could take 30mins or so.

Looks like you have a hardware problem and will be tricky finding out what the cause is. Could be memory or it could be cpu overheating.

We'll start with memory first. Watch this video on your laptop and try adjust settings accordingly in your PC's bios. Different motherboards can have different but similar settings just labeled differently albeit your bios should have all the settings this guy adjusts.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uiK_JYVQH0"][/video]

I never used it myself but in theory if u didn't get any errors it should mean it's okay.

Have you checked what your BIOS version is? In case you don't know this is the motherboard's version. They way you see this is by clicking on F2 or Delete (on most boards) upon startup. Write the version down, boot the computer and go on your motherboard's support list on the manufacturer's official website. There you will be able to download the newest version, put the file on your USB using the same Fat32 format. And update it there.

Once the update is done. Restart your computer and go back into the BIOS, here you will need to manually set your RAM speed. Look for "XMP" and then set it to your maximum RAM speed, and the voltage to 1.35

boju

Titan
Ambassador

I hope I've covered my specs? Nothing is overclocked.

On Ryzen platforms, memory's default speed is 2133 or 2400 unless overclocked. Overclocking memory to run at 3000 is necessary as shown in video if you want your ram running at rated speeds. If you didn't do any of that previously, your ram wasn't running at 3000.

I forget what a fresh install is. I got Win10 from kinguin.net

Operating System upgrade or moving drive to another system without reinstalling Windows, as in fresh install.

Also i don't like seeing kinguin here. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2984657/kinguin-reputable-website-windows-keys.html

"Are chipset drivers installed?" Not sure what those are

Drivers which relate to the motherboard. Motherboards usually ship with a driver CD or you can download drivers from the Manufacturer's website. https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

Basically, after installing Windows 10 for the first time it is usual practice to install all appropriate drivers such as Chipset, Lan, Sata, and Audio. Windows 10 may install generic drivers for these devices but would prefer the manufacturer's.

me1324

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017

Ok so I couldn't find the VBoot Voltage setting but otherwise I changed one setting and booted from the USB but it just started like a normal boot.

Let me know if I did something wrong there.
Oh! I forgot about the FAT32 format. I'm not sure what that is, I just downloaded memtest from the site, not sure how to change it to that format.

me1324

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017

It's a fresh install. Sorry, just wanted to mention that my Win10 was grey market if it mattered. THanks for helping.

I think all my drivers are good.

me1324

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017
Hmm that seems to be what I'm doing. I installed the usb version, on my usb. Opened my bios during restart, then booted from the usb.

My memtest window was black though.

Edit: Unless he's saying you can boot directly from the usb w/o going to the bios?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ok. Let it go for a few passes and if it shows no errors then memory is ok.

What speed and voltage is your memory running at now?

Settings you adjusted in the bios may have worked. Next time you're in Windows, download CPUz and check what speed your memory is running at. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Picture for an example. What you're looking for under memory tab is Dram Frequency. For 3000MHz ram it'll read 1500MHz as shown in pic to multiply that number by 2. Your Bios should read the actual frequency if you succeeded in setting the memory speed correctly.

CPUZ_RAM_Speed.png

me1324

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017

Not sure. With the adobe programs, it could take a bit of time for it to happen. So I'd have to get back to you tomorrow.

Skyrim is crashing for me at spots right now. But it may just be because I'm setting up mods.

me1324

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017

I'm still having the issue. I did a little stress test and the usual happened. I couldn't open multiple Adobe programs after having Photoshop (with a bunch of pictures in it) and a number of tabs open.