Plex FreeNas server from my old system

peevish

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
I know general builds have been discussed on this topic, but I'm hoping for someone's eye to help me make the most of what I have.

I am currently using my old PC as a htpc running Plex - it works pretty good, but I am looking to convert from a windows based standalone media player to a FreeNAS running media server.

I would like to be able to transcode files through Plex to several tvs in the house via roku boxes (though multiple streams would be nice, I can live with one by one if the price is a lot less). I also would like to be able to use the system as a remote file and media server for when I am away.

Based on my current setup, what would I need to do to it to make it a good candidate? - pretty sure at least the RAM would need upgrading to 8gb and I would be adding 2-3 more 2tb drives (replacing the 250gb and adding to the existing 2tb)

So the question is, am I pretty good with what I have, or would it be better for me to upgrade/change or even start from scratch in order to get a reliable 24/7 server?

Heres My current setup:
Gigabyte EP-35-DS3l
Intel Dual Core E7200 2.53GHz
Visiontek Radeon HD 5670
4GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz (4X1gb)
Thermaltake Purepower 500W PSU
250gb Seagate Barracuda 7200 HD
Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2 TB SATA2 5400rpm 32 MB Hard Drive
NZXT Alpha CS-NT-ALP-WOW Tower

Thnks so much