Plextor 12X

G

Who got one and how's it working.

any problems. Tried every type of copy modes.

I'm targeting this for my new system, want some user experience.

Take Care.
If money was no object, how could you spend it!

G

Which one? (ex. there is SCSI one, there is 4x rw, or 10x rw,etc.).
There are tons of reviews on that (Tom has reviewed this product).
Ok, here is from user experience (on Cnet):
<A HREF="http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1094-418-2096650-1.html?tag=st.co.1094-404-2096650.urev.1094-418-2096650-1" target="_new">This link</A>

Good luck.

PS. Plextor is a very good choice.

G

I am the owner of a Plexwriter 12X10X32X TA (IDE) and I have so far lost 0 cd's. The only drawback I have found is that I can't find 10X CD-RW. I recommend it to you.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've got the SCSI version and find it very reliable.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://zidane222.cjb.net" target="_new">http://zidane222.cjb.net</A></b>

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have 12x/10x IDE. A terrific drive--very reliable. I have not lost a CD yet (0/15). Very fast if you use the right CD. A Maxell 10x CDR writes at 12x easily. It comes with one 10x CDRW.
A thing of beauty to create a full CDROM in about 6 min.

James

G

I also have the Plextor 12/10/32A (IDE) and it kicks butt!! Haven't made any coasters yet and I can burn at 12x just using generic CDRs. Don't use CDRWs all that often but the couple times I did it wrote at 10x. I only have a PII-400 with generic 128MB PC100 CAS3 RAM.
Have to agree with James, its great being able to extract an entire audio CD in 5 mins then burn a mix in 5-10 mins.

G

I have an old Ricoh 6x2x2 and it takes about 38-40mins per disc and about 1 in 8 screws up!

Damn 6mins, that's scary.

I'm thinking about going for the SCSI version but they're so damned expensive. They only give 1 year warranty too so its really bad if there's a problem after just one year.

I hope they give the same good service as Ricoh did. My burner putted out after about 7months or so. They were very responsive and I had to send it to France to get it repaired. I had the thing back and running fine within 8 days and they even flashed it with the latest BIOS version.

I think I'll go for Plextor next time because I have a 40x Ultrplex reader that kicks ass and I like the idea of 12z copying :)

G

One bad disk in eight? Are you kidding? I could go broke burning that many coasters.

I've got the same Ricoh drive and have made around 15 bad disks out of 1200 or so. Yeah, the drive is slow at 6x2x2, but it works. If you have an IDE version, that may be the source of your woes. I went through 3 IDE burners before settling on this one. SCSI is a lot more reliable when you do other things on your computer at the same time. I used to get bad disks when a screen saver or instant message would pop up with the IDE drives. Now I surf the net or listen to 256kbps MP's while I burn with SCSI.

Trust me, SCSI is worth the extra $40 or $50, and 50 pin controllers are peanuts these days!

G

Sorry when I mentioned I like the idea of a SCSI version I actually meant SCSI version of the Plextor since they were talking about the IDE one.

I use the SCSI Ricoh and I don't think I'll ever buy an IDE one. I burn from an IDE hard drive to the SCSI burner and that generates about 2-4% processor usage on my dual P3 550Es. I can easily have my machine doing numerous other tasks. It's really quite hard to give the CPUs something intensive to do. They just seem to yawn when I run Q3A or HL Counter Strike. I've only had a couple of buffer underruns in all the 100s of discs I've burnt due so something screwing up.

Windows 2000 helps a lot in cd copying preventing buffer underruns so I'd not take advantage of burn proof.

I think the reason why 1 in 8 or so screws up is mainly due to the cheap crappy CDRs I use. The ones that mess up are in cheapy spindles of 50. I'm now refusing to get these, jewel-cased only mode now.

G

I bought a 12/10/32X drive back in August. It replaced my Plextor 4X SCSI CD-R drive. I swore I'd never go with an IDE CD-R/W, but this is one of the best investments I've made. 8X blanks burn at 12X. No coasters in 3.5 months now. CD-RW disks reformat in about 5 minutes. Awesome. Highly recommended.

G

You can buy 10x CDRW media from Plextor's website and I found it at buy.com

Zyphoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got an HP7200I and it takes an average of 32-34 minutes to burn at 2X. 6X is taking 38 dosent seem right?

If the fat lady's singing at least shes losing weight.

G

My CDR speed is 6x2x2 -

For all cd writers unless you've got thoroughly wierd one - the fastest of the speed would be the read, secondly the write once speed, then finally the slowest being the rewrite speed.

Therefore for my CDR...

6x Read
2x Write
2x Rewrite

G

Plextor 12/10/32a Kicks but. I have it set to secondary Master. I use to burn at 2x. 12x is phenominal.

G

I've got the SCSI one and it works great. I've even tried running the buffer down to zero - still made the cd just fine at 12x. I've heard the ATAPI performance is almost no different, looks better too. SCSI has bigger buffer, a drive fan, better seek times, and lower cpu usage tho. External SCSI looks real nice too. =P

G

I -=just=- ordered the plextor 12/10/32 IDE from outpost.com and I probably owe a lot of my decision to this thread. I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting the puralator man to knock on the door with my shipment!! I originally put an order in for the new Lightspeed Yamaha 16X burner, but I read many reviews which listed attractive pros, but some not-so-desirable cons. Reviews on Plextor's 12X seemed nothing but positive, so I told them not to send me the yamaha. Heck, it's not like there are any 16X discs up here in Northern Ontario, anyways. And what's the big deal in waiting an extra 2 minutes to write! I'm upgrading from an HP_2X, so I'll take a 7min. burn over 36 minutes ANY DAY! :)

G

Sorry, but everything was arranged to confuse you, we were all lying about the Plextor, it's a completely piece of crap. I've got 10 coasters out of 9 Cd's...

Seriously, very good decision.

G

Do any of you lovers of the Plextor cd-rw have it running on a via chipset? I bought the Plextor writer and am having problems with an older via chipset. The via site says they are aware of certain problems but I am unable to find out if this writer works with the new chipsets from via. I want to purchase the Asus A7-V with via KT133 chipset and am wondering if anybody has this configuration with their Plextor burner.