Plextor Cancels Altaplus M7e, Regroups With Eldora For M8e PCIe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadgety

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Well, not an M.2 or PCI-e drive, but Samsung's got their share of lemons, too. Like the 840 and the drive I have the 840evo. It was hailed as the top performance for a reasonable price, value for money, or as this site stated "Tom's Hardware Smart Buy award on Samsung's 840 EVO." It wasn't. It was a time bomb, bordering on hoax, sort of the Ben Johnson in the SSD world, fast, but on drugs. My dual CPU, multi GPU PC with the 840EVO starts slower than the family APU HTPC with a lowly Kingston SSD. So Plextor isn't the only one with lemons. Samsung's 840EVO is a bigger problem than the Plextor drive, because it outsold most every other SSD, and in fact, I think should reward the millions of 840EVO buyers with a healthy discount on an 850EVO.

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014
Well, not an M.2 or PCI-e drive, but Samsung's got their share of lemons, too. Like the 840 and the drive I have the 840evo. It was hailed as the top performance for a reasonable price, value for money, or as this site stated "Tom's Hardware Smart Buy award on Samsung's 840 EVO." It wasn't. It was a time bomb, bordering on hoax, sort of the Ben Johnson in the SSD world, fast, but on drugs. My dual CPU, multi GPU PC with the 840EVO starts slower than the family APU HTPC with a lowly Kingston SSD. So Plextor isn't the only one with lemons. Samsung's 840EVO is a bigger problem than the Plextor drive, because it outsold most every other SSD, and in fact, I think should reward the millions of 840EVO buyers with a healthy discount on an 850EVO.

You don't think the problem is probably on your end? I have a 840 EVO and my PC is extremely fast starting up.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
What the hell was this article?

The little bit of news was nice, but the rest was more or less a rant against the brand followed by what seems to be Samsung fanboing for absolutely no reason. Add to that the fact that the second half of the title seems to be mere speculation with no official word.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
The difference between one man's speculation and one man's fact is the source. LiteOn, Plextor's parent company on the SSD side displayed the Eldora processor in the CX2 at the show. The CX2 is for OEMs and enterprise use depending on who is buying. The M8e info comes from a Plextor source on two occasions. The first was at Computex and the second was at FMS.

Samsung ships roughly 50% of the client SSDs in the channel today. Given the large number of other brands in the market I would call that dominant. There isn't any fanboi action here, just the facts.

The rest of the article just gives background on what Plextor has gone through over the last few years. Many of the details in this piece have never been merged together in a single article before. This is the place to get the full story without the spin.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

If that was your intention, that is fine and dandy, but the article itself was terribly laid out. If the CX2 and other sources were your backing for the speculation, please list them in the article. Also, it takes way too long for you to reach the meat of the article, and instead give us a list of previous Plextor issues and quite random Samsung facts. Seriously, what the hell is the 950 Pro, and where did you get info about it? Further, sentences like this: " Apparently, North American readers are unable to read tech websites in Europe now; in the sole review online, Plextor claimed the M6V was shipping as of last month, but we are still unable to purchase the drive in Europe or in the land of the free." make little to no sense without more explanation.

Finally, I don't know what counts as the full story without the spin, but leaving out long term company history while completely bashing Plextor with harsh negative rhetoric over and over and painting a heavenly picture of flawless Samsung doesn't seem full or without spin.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
My dual CPU, multi GPU PC with the 840EVO starts slower than the family APU HTPC with a lowly Kingston SSD.

Without anymore detail than what you have offered, I would guess your multi GPU PC is doing a bit more than your APU HTPC on boot up. The difference in speed from one SSD to another is pretty small, in real world terms. Now, if you put the Kingston SSD in your multi GPU setup and saw an improvement in boot up times, you would have a valid complaint.

I have zero rebuttal to any of that other than I was not the editor here at the time.

Really. You cannot even pick out the apples to oranges comparison he was doing, but felt compelled to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.