Plextor S2C SSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtfiwin

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
@skoalreaver relax probably just meant what it says.

can't wait to see some QLC or 3D-QLC for mass storage 20TB SSDs.

Medric

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
it is a pro cause its here but a con because this will start to be standerd; no more 8 channel so you know this could go alot faster than it is but i wont so it sucks

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
@Chris

I never buy anything except for Samsung SSDs (unequaled performance numbers). However I run them in RAID. I was curious if RAID performance, especially in the real world application (game loads), would take less time or more time. I have never seen a comparison done in the kinds of tests you guys do with storage performance in tandem. I'm curious if it's worth the average person's time to run paired discs vs. unpaired.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
It is a pro and a con. As mentioned above, it is a good thing because we will get lower prices but a con because this type of performance is now the norm. It really all depends on when you jumped on the SSD train. I've been riding along since 2007 and saw performance rise, continue to rise for several years and then suddenly use "tricks" to achieve high levels of performance.

If you only recently used SSDs then the least common denominator method is normal and acceptable.

If your workload requires or uses heavy sequential reads and writes then RAID for performance (RAID 0) is a powerful tool with SATA SSDs. NVMe products are generally fast enough where RAID doesn't deliver the same performance increase. The bottleneck moves away from the storage device and to other areas like the file system.

HERETIC-1

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Hi Chris,
Nice review as always.Wouldn't surprise me if Plextor/Liteon wasn't the OEM
for the Intel 540.
One change I'd have made was-Drop the Crucial lemon from the charts,and
added 750 EVO........................

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Pricing for the 750 EVO is so hit or miss these days in relation to the 850 EVO. If Samsung could keep it a good 20-25% less we would take it more serious. The difference in the 250GB capacity size right now on Amazon is less than $10. Unless you are digging through the couch to fund the purchase the easy pick between the two is the 850 EVO.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Which version of the V300? I don't know how many exist now but it's a handful of different controller and NAND configurations.

I'm working on a page that will have tests from a bunch of SSDs in very long, organized, charts.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Not too bothered really, the ones that came out 6 months after release I guess. They are the ones most common I would say. Its just that was the budget SSD of its time that sold a lot and it would be interesting to compare that budget SSD with the modern budget TLC ones.

HERETIC-1

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Hi Chris,I threw in the 750 as I consider it to be the best of the planer TLC drives,
even if we don't know what's happening in the background-aka 840 read issues.
Here in OZ the 750 is $37 cheaper than the 850.
And yes my choice would still be the 850.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
While there is certainly a price delta between these types of SATA-throttled drives versus NVMe, the difference is only enough to matter if you're buying ALLOT of drives or require multiple terabytes.

For a high performance workstation or gaming machine that requires maybe only a couple drives....why would you not spend the extra $100-$200 and get 6x performance in a smaller form factor?

mapesdhs

Distinguished

6x what performance? It's not going to produce extra fps, and the vast majority of users won't really notice the difference. For pro users it very much depends on the application; good for Sony Vegas, good for an AE cache, but in many other cases little difference. What I'd like to know is why SATA SSD prices have shot up so much, the 850 EVO is now 50% more than it was a year ago, and I'm not buying the whole DRAM shortage idea. These companies aren't stupid, they know how to manage supply when it's needed. Equally irritating is the contrast between the 960 Pro and SM961 (same tech, huge cost difference), and why the 850 Pro is so much more than the 960 Pro. Building a PC has simply become a lot more expensive recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.