"Plug an ethernet cable into this computer"

SATAdragon

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
Hey, so recently i've been having a huge issue, there was a thunderstorm that happened about a week ago and lightning struck a tree about 30 feet from where my router/pc was. I'm not sure if this affected it or not, but the next day i went on my computer, i was able to access the internet for a few hours, then the network shutdown, and the connection said "Please plug an ethernet cable into your computer". Then, i factory reset my computer and the internet was working regularly for a few hours, and the network shutdown again. My ethernet cable is fine, please help!

Solution

Never seen a Windows message like that. How does it know you need ethernet? because you can get to the Net via WIFI or some other mechanism. All I ever saw was "ethernet has disconnected" and that is when the NIC senses it's longer getting layer 2 handshake from the switch/router.

Well I can tell you if you are getting this message every time it dies, it's not the ISP' fault, because all you would get is the browser telling you "site not found/unreachable," it's something with your PC or with the switch it's connected to. Got WIFI? switch to WIFI for a few days and see. PCI-base ethernet boards are relatively inexpensive if you have to. When this happens look at the tiny...

SATAdragon

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016

Is there any other solution? Why did my machine have internet when i factory reset it? Please excuse me, i am very new to computer troubleshooting.

Never seen a Windows message like that. How does it know you need ethernet? because you can get to the Net via WIFI or some other mechanism. All I ever saw was "ethernet has disconnected" and that is when the NIC senses it's longer getting layer 2 handshake from the switch/router.

Well I can tell you if you are getting this message every time it dies, it's not the ISP' fault, because all you would get is the browser telling you "site not found/unreachable," it's something with your PC or with the switch it's connected to. Got WIFI? switch to WIFI for a few days and see. PCI-base ethernet boards are relatively inexpensive if you have to. When this happens look at the tiny LED by the RJ45, they are there for troubleshooting purposes.

Solution

SATAdragon

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016

Im using a desktop computer