[SOLVED] Plug in NVME, CPU jumps to 100% utilization when I launch games (not all games)

Jul 27, 2021
How I got there:
I built this rig in '17 . It has been working wonderfully for years. I have bios enabled OC for ram (XMP) and CPU since purchase.

I just installed a WD SN750 1TB yesterday, and my machine basically blew up. I am constantly hitting 0-7 fps and 100% CPU utilization whenever I start a game regardless of the HD the game is on. I currently have 3 steam libraries on 3 HDs: disk, SSD and (new) NVME.

Games that cause 100% CPU usage: Destiny 2, Outriders, League of Legends, Fortnite, Monster Hunter World, Doom Eternal, Overwatch (all used to run 70+ fps last week).

EDIT: (not all games cause 100% CPU usage). Games that work fine: Warframe running at 131fps (29% CPU usage) | Valheim 63fps (39% CPU) | Ori Will of the Wisps 200fps (64%cpu) some CPU maxing and stuttering initially | Ori Blind Forest 120fps (19% CPU) | Portal 2 180fps (19% cpu) | Deep Rock Galactic 88fps (40% cpu) | Divinity 2 117fps (43% cpu) | Diablo III 60fps+ |

MOBO if interested. I am using the the M2_1 slot (turbo boost) for the NVME. When I manage to quit a game that maxes the CPU, the CPU usage returns to normal. Also, while game is running my GPU is <15% utilization.

What I've done:
  • Turned off and on OC in bios for both CPU and ram
  • Ran multiple userbenchmark tests to see if there's a problem with my hardware. All hardware is rated great/good (green) for what they are.
  • Tested GPU with MSI Afterburner/Kombustor and it can still be OC'd more with no problem.
  • Tried games on each of the 3 HDs and at least 1 game from each drive works fine.
I have no idea what's going on. Could the NVME be messing with GPU PCI lanes or something? Why doesn't it affect all games (just my favorites rn)?

Could really use some help.

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Only one NVME SSD in first slot should cause no issues at all...(my own NVME has the OS , apps, and games, and, certainly no other drives interfere, although it should be noted that a failing spinning drive can easily hang up a CPU because of lots of failed reads/writes, indexing, etc.)

What is the other 'SSD' being used? standard SATA? Is it perhaps on an NVME port which shares bandwidth with one of your utilized SATA ports? (move any/all SATA drives off of ports that shard bandwidth, typically disk 0, and 1 hard bandwidth with first slot, and 2nd NVME slot share bandwidth with , typically, 5th and 6th SATA ports; as you do not have but one other SSD and one spinning drive, there should be no potential issues)

You might consider a...

SoumithCS

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
The Nvme is messing with your CPU on-board IO controller and uour motherboard chipset. Due to turbo boost on Nvme, most of your CPU is being utilized by it because the Nvme drive will get higher priority than remaining storage drives. The issue with your FPS is the since there might be processes or Apps running of from Nvme might be causing a bottleneck to CPU so the other processes like Games are getting less CPU power allocated to them for utilization. Place the Nvme in other slot it might help.

Reactions: d.cuzo
Only one NVME SSD in first slot should cause no issues at all...(my own NVME has the OS , apps, and games, and, certainly no other drives interfere, although it should be noted that a failing spinning drive can easily hang up a CPU because of lots of failed reads/writes, indexing, etc.)

What is the other 'SSD' being used? standard SATA? Is it perhaps on an NVME port which shares bandwidth with one of your utilized SATA ports? (move any/all SATA drives off of ports that shard bandwidth, typically disk 0, and 1 hard bandwidth with first slot, and 2nd NVME slot share bandwidth with , typically, 5th and 6th SATA ports; as you do not have but one other SSD and one spinning drive, there should be no potential issues)

You might consider a 'nuke and pave', reinstalling the OS, apps, and full reinstall of one problematic game on the NVME drive, and add one drive at a time, noting behavior.

Solution
Jul 27, 2021
@SoumithCS : The m2_2 slot disables sata 1 and 2 ports I learned; so, I moved my other 2 drives to sata ports 5 & 6 for now. I'll try moving the NVME drive to the m2_2 slot tomorrow morning and test.

@mdd1963 my SSD is my standard "C" drive with Windows OS, apps and some games. My spin disc is just a lot of storage for media and some games. I'm not sure I am ready for the nuke option, but that's definitely a last resort.

Jul 27, 2021
Moved the NVME to M2_2 and quick formatted it this morning and booted up Fortnite. Same issue persists CPU goes to 100% instantly and game is unplayable with low fps.

Edit: Reinstalled a problem game (Outriders) now to see if fresh install changes anything. Problem persists 100% CPU utilization, 6 fps, 26% GPU utilization.

Edit 2: I removed the NVME entirely and tested a game and runs great! So it's clearly the drive that is causing some issue.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
Are the games themselves actually pegging the CPU at 100% if you look at it via Task Manager? Or is it something else?
I'm using the GeForce Experience overlay, but I'm checking onw and seeing the same in task manager.
PvFtta.png

Are NVME drivers installed?

What speeds of transfers does CrystalDiskMark show for sequential reads/writes?

Perhaps remove your OS SSD, and fresh install Windows/drivers/one test game to NVME , and retest...

(Still having a formatted NVME connected to a mainboard should not drag down a system...; since it does so on both M.2 slots, that rules out a single slot issue)

@SoumithCS : The m2_2 slot disables sata 1 and 2 ports I learned; so, I moved my other 2 drives to sata ports 5 & 6 for now. I'll try moving the NVME drive to the m2_2 slot tomorrow morning and test.

@mdd1963 my SSD is my standard "C" drive with Windows OS, apps and some games. My spin disc is just a lot of storage for media and some games. I'm not sure I am ready for the nuke option, but that's definitely a last resort.
Alas, the 2nd M.2 slot often causes issues with SATA ports 5 and 6, so, that swap might give the same issues.

Move the SATA and spinner to SATA 3 and 4...and retest?

Jul 27, 2021
Without nvme installed I'm still having 100% CPU issues today. I think I'll go the nuke option, but I've never nuked and installed a fresh Windows 10. Do you know of any guides on how to do that @mdd1963 ?

Jul 27, 2021
Are NVME drivers installed?

What speeds of transfers does CrystalDiskMark show for sequential reads/writes?

Perhaps remove your OS SSD, and fresh install Windows/drivers/one test game to NVME , and retest...

(Still having a formatted NVME connected to a mainboard should not drag down a system...; since it does so on both M.2 slots, that rules out a single slot issue)
Here's the latest bench I ran https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/44970465

Jul 27, 2021
Full nuke! Left my spin disk and SSD unplugged and installed everything on the NMVE, including a fresh Windows 10 install. 100% first time for that.

Everything works 100%.

Thanks for the help!