Plugged in corrupted hard drive, now computer wont boot at all

ryantheco

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
My brothers hard drive was corrupted and would not boot outside of safe mode, so I plugged it into my computer so I could wipe it and fresh install Windows 7. I plugged it in a booted up my computer, and it didn't POST. Nothing at all on the screen. The computer turned on, then after 5 seconds shut down, then after 3 seconds came back on and stayed on, but still no POST. No beeps or anything. I then shut it off and unplugged his hard drive, leaving only my SSD plugged in, but the same thing happened. Tried with no drives plugged in and still no POST or beeps. I have tried 2 different sticks of RAM in 2 different slots and no change. I have also tried with no RAM and I did get a beep code saying the RAM was missing and the computer did not restart at all.

Is there anyway this could have done permanent damage to my MOBO or PSU?

Could the new HDD be causing the MOBO to short?

I unplugged my DVD drive in order to plug in the new HDD. Not sure if this could have any effect.

Specs:
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LGA
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
Ram: Ripjaw G-Skill 8GB
PSU: Corsair 650w
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7850 2 GB

ryantheco

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

I left my old HDD in my PC when I put the new one in. Now I took out the corrupted one and left my normal SSD connected and it will not boot.

I will try using the on board connection for the monitor, but normally I get 1 beep when it POSTs and now I am not getting any.

ryantheco

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

I reset the CMOS battery (taking it out and waiting 10 seconds). Is this and different from using the jumper?

you should have hot plugged the bad drive after you booted your machine. windows would have found the drive. after that you could have done what you wanted to it.

you can try resetting cmos but on boot up you'll have to make sure your boot drive is first on the list.

I would boot with the ssd if that's your main drive. leave your HD out. when machine boots. hot plug your brothers.

ryantheco

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

I thought about that afterwards, but I never had this problem before.

As for booting with the SSD, my problem is I can't boot at all anymore. Not with my SSD, not with my HDD, not with the bad HDD, and not with any of them. No POST with any of them.

I will try the CMOS jumpers to see if that will work.

Yes that works also, push the power button for 20 seconds to discharge the board with it out.

ryantheco

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Found out it was the ram. I tried my 2nd stick of ram in my 3rd socket (1st stick didn't work in that socket) and it posted. So I went from having 2 working sticks of RAM and 3 working slots (4th is covered by heatsink) to 1 and 1. Maybe it's just temporary.