Plugged in second monitor, computer stopped providing signal to both monitors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cadco96

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2013
Hello,

I recently acquired a second monitor to help me be more efficient with some of my course work. My plan was to keep my primary monitor connected via HDMI and to plug in the second monitor with my DVI slot. I have a GTX 1060.

As soon as I plugged in the second monitor, signal dropped from my primary monitor, and I have since been unable to recover it. Even when I unplugged the second monitor, signal will not return to the primary one. I tried plugging my TV into the computer and still, nothing.

Any ideas?

Solution

It clearly is that particular card, is it still under...

cadco96

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2013
Well everyone,

I put in the different video card with only hdmi plugged in, and the display came up in the lowest resolution, which was strange. I put the resolution to 1920x1080, turned the pc off, plugged in the second monitor, and everything worked.

I then plugged my 1070 back in, plugged both monitors in, and still no input from hdmi. However, I got signal to the second monitor with DVI, and it was once again in the lowest resolution. This time, though, I had no option to increase the resolution. I tried to search for a second monitor, then everything went black again.

I'm back to where I started. Does it seem like the video card has malfunctioned, or something else?

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

It clearly is that particular card, is it still under warranty?

Solution