[SOLVED] Plugging an Ethernet cable into my computer stops all other devices from using the network.

FantasticMrAJ

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
I recently built a new computer to replace my old one. After a clean build and install of windows I went to plug it in to access the internet for graphics and motherboard drivers. However after plugging in the computer to the internet I seemed to not have any connection. After troubleshooting windows said the Ethernet cable was not plugged in correctly or not in at all. However this was the same cable and connection that I was using for my old pc just a day before. Then I realized I could no longer use my WiFi on my iPhone either. I just thought the whole of my house had gone down, until after about a 4 hours of waiting and resetting and texting a cox representative to restart my modem themselves, I started to get worried and unplugged the Ethernet cable from my computer. After doing so magically the internet was then available to my iPhone once again. To recap, plugging in my new computer makes it so other devices can see the wireless network, but get a no internet error when they try to connect. I’m really worried I shorted the mother board somehow when putting it together. Any feedback and help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
Get a $20 usb wireless stick, test that with the mobo and wifi, if works, good chance you have shorted your ethernet section on the mobo, if you spent less than $200, buy a new one. I would first undo everything and rebuild the pc "properly" which i know doesnt help, but maybe google a bit to understand how to put a machine together, it isnt as simple as just screwing everything together as people think, especially if you want maximum performance
Get a $20 usb wireless stick, test that with the mobo and wifi, if works, good chance you have shorted your ethernet section on the mobo, if you spent less than $200, buy a new one. I would first undo everything and rebuild the pc "properly" which i know doesnt help, but maybe google a bit to understand how to put a machine together, it isnt as simple as just screwing everything together as people think, especially if you want maximum performance

Solution