PLZ PLZ PLZ HELP ME!!!! Gaming Build Questions

stilfat

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
Hello all, I need help!! I built (had brother in-law) my son a PC for gaming and the computer keeps shutting down and giving me a error message. the message tells me to insert media and reboot. I asked my brother in-law about this and he thinks that I ordered a faulty motherboard. I looked on the web and I seemed to find many different answers to the same problem. I know very little about computers so this is all kind of new to me.

build:

masterbox lite 3.1 mATX case with tempered glass

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING, ACX 2.0 (single fan)

EVGA 600 B1 600W PSU

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHx turbo) AM3+ 125W desktop Processor

ADATA Ulitimate SU650 2.5" 240GB SATA III 3D NAND internal solid state drive

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2x 8GB) 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

ASUS M5A78L-M plus/USB3 DDR3 HDMI USB 3.0 760G MicroATX Motherboard

WINDOWS 10 OS

I bought these parts and had them shipped to my brother inlaw who assembeled them and shipped the PC to me for Christmas. The PC worked for a day while my son played RUST, PUBG and another shooter game. We then downloaded ARK survival evolved from steam and the thats when the problems started for me. We got about an hour or two into the game when it shut down and gave me the menyioned message. after reading online what the problems could be i found a thread that claimed i needed at least a 750W PSU t orun the game. I then uninstalled ARK and still had issues every coule hours. I called my brother inlaw and he stated that while building the PC he had encountered the same issue. He stated that the system failed to detect the SSD a couple of times but would deetect it after 3 or 4 reboots or pulling the power cord. He also stated that he got a bunch of BSODs with various errors. Letting Win10 auto repair never worked. Eventually he decided to start from scratch and reinstalled the OS. The PC worked from there so he shipped to me. He thinks the problem is the motherboard and i have no issues buying a new one if thats the problem. I want the PC to be able to handle the games he wants to play.

if anyone can find the time to please help. i would like to know if it is the motherboard or something that can be fixed otherwise. if the build has a component that is weak or cheap i am willing to replace. if it is the motherboeard do i buy a better one or just a new one? thank you for your time and help with this matter.

-Confused Gamers Dad

BigBoomBoom

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
It could be the mobo, did you smell anything? Like Plastic BBQ? Because that mobo cannot handle that 8 core CPU. You need 990 Series mobo like 990FX/990X/970X, preferably the first 2.

Also why such outdated CPU? The AMD FX series is notoriously bad, more so nowadays when even cheaper CPU stomp it.

stilfat

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

thank you for helping! i didn't smell anything but the tower is very warm. is there a mobo out there that is wifi ready and can handle the rest of the gear inside? looking on newegg i found an i5 or i7 CPU...are these better than what i have or do i need something that is geared towards the new mobs? like i stated earlier, i know very little about computers .

BigBoomBoom

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
It's too late to get refund now? Yes, most i5-i7 will curb stomp the AMD FX in gaming, but you will need new mobo and possibly new RAM (DDR4) depending on generation. Likewise if you want AMD Ryzen you will need new mobo and RAM (DDR4).

stilfat

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

it is too late, I have another friend that will buy them from me so that's not a problem.

ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero AM4 AMD X370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard

Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I58600K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15D-16GVR

Will these do? I'm not sure what I'm looking for lol. I don't wanna spend another $800 but if I have to I will

BigBoomBoom

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
First of all you need to understand socket. AM4 mobo will not work with Intel CPU, they are for AMD Ryzen CPU like Ryzen 7 1700 etc.

Socket 1151 mobo like Z170/Z270 also do not support Coffee Lake i5-8600k even though it is Socket 1151. You need Z370 (not X370).

What budget do you want? You don't really need to spend $800. A cheap $70-$100 modern CPU would be better than the AMD FX-8320. The problem with your current mobo is this 8 core AMD FX series is notoriously bad at gaming while consuming vast energy, so older mobo like your current one either don't supply enough wattage to it or get melted by sheer heat it generates.

Anything from cheap Pentium G4560/Ryzen 3 1200 would do better in gaming.

stilfat

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

i would like to keep this fix to less than $500 if it all possible. i have very little knowledge about this stuff and am at the mercy of good people like you and youtube videos on fixing this. is there parts you would recommend that i buy? i was going on sites and refining searches by most common bought or top selling parts. i know that i am asking alot and i can't thank you enough for all the help that you have given so far.