PNY Adds 2133MHz and 1866MHz XLR8 Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I essentially stopped buying PNY after getting two DOA video cards, 3 DOA memory kits, and a DOA flash drive from them.

But given that they have put lifetime warranties on these memory kits, it seems they seems that they have improved their quality (or are at least trying to) leaps and bounds since I last bought from them back in 2003.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
9-12-9-27 timing. That's a bit high, isn't it?

[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I essentially stopped buying PNY after getting two DOA video cards, 3 DOA memory kits, and a DOA flash drive from them.But given that they have put lifetime warranties on these memory kits, it seems they seems that they have improved their quality (or are at least trying to) leaps and bounds since I last bought from them back in 2003.[/citation]

I also had PNY on my blacklist after seeing the firsthand experience of two of their GPUs' fans dying within months in a friend's computer, and then refusing replacement or refund because the GPUs were no longer in stock.

It would be so nice if Tomshardware reviewed companies' technical/customer support.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]9-12-9-27 timing. That's a bit high, isn't it?I also had PNY on my blacklist after seeing the firsthand experience of two of their GPUs' fans dying within months in a friend's computer, and then refusing replacement or refund because the GPUs were no longer in stock.It would be so nice if Tomshardware reviewed companies' technical/customer support.[/citation]

Would be the best article Toms ever wrote. I support this 10,000%.

[citation][nom]tmk221[/nom]$60 for 2x 4GB 1866 and $125 for 4x 4GB GB 1866. That doesn't add up[/citation]

Matched sets are guaranteed to work together and as such are more expensive than two unmatched sets

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Pinhedd[/nom]Matched sets are guaranteed to work together and as such are more expensive than two unmatched sets[/citation]

What? Any two set are guaranteed to work together as long as they run on the same frequency. You don't even need to buy from the same vendor.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]venur[/nom]Since when gamer need bether then 1333Hz ?[/citation]

Civilization 5 is heavily dependent on RAM bandwidth. Going from 1333 Mhz to 1866 Mhz with the same timing could potentially boost FPS by 20%, with no other hardware modification.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Civilization 5 is heavily dependent on RAM bandwidth. Going from 1333 Mhz to 1866 Mhz with the same timing could potentially boost FPS by 20%, with no other hardware modification.[/citation]

With the crappy timings on this RAM I doubt it would increase as much as you think. I've seen to many reviews prove that RAM timing is more important than speed. Often good timed RAM will out perform 1 or even 2 speed tiers of poorly timed RAM above it.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]With the crappy timings on this RAM I doubt it would increase as much as you think. I've seen to many reviews prove that RAM timing is more important than speed. Often good timed RAM will out perform 1 or even 2 speed tiers of poorly timed RAM above it.[/citation]
Unless you're using Llano, in which case speed seems to make more difference than timing, at least from 1333MHz to 1600MHz.

As RAM speed seemingly makes less of a difference for Core processors (with the possible exception of using the HD2000/3000, assuming you would want to), timings would certainly make more sense here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS