Question POE switch with gigabit internet compatible

JIANNY

Commendable
Feb 4, 2021
In my network I have 1000mb/s speed and I need a switch to be truly gigabit and POE cause where It should be,It will not be powered.All I need is a 5 port switch with Poe and it can handle 1000mb/s.

Do I need 2 POE switches? one in the main building and other in the secondary building?

JIANNY

Commendable
Feb 4, 2021
In my network I have 1000mb/s speed and I need a switch to be truly gigabit and POE cause where It should be,It will not be powered.All I need is a 5 port switch with Poe and it can handle 1000mb/s.

Do I need 2 POE switches? one in the main building and other in the secondary building?
I have to connect in the secondary building a computer,a router and 2 internet outlets.(Computer and router will be powered on later when it the building will be finished).

It is going to be very tricky if you have no power at all in the remote building. PoE power even in the best case is very limited it can not run something like a pc.

In most cases you have ----electical power----switch----poe devices plugged into multiple ports.

Now they do make switches that can be powered via PoE but they are not common.

So those would go electical power---poe injector-----Poe input switch-------devices that have their own power source.

There are the very unusual switches that can be power via poe and also power 1 remote device. They are rather expensive devices. They also are extremely limited how much they can power. The total power allowed for the switch itself and the remote poe device is 25 watts. So you could maybe hook a 15watt remove device.
What I have seen people on this forum discuss using them for is to power a remote ethernet camera/weather station that is more than 100 meters from the main location. By placing a switch 1/2 way you can run 200 meters and still power a small remote device.

If your condition is say I have a remote building with no power and a number of battery powered laptops that need internet that you can use a special poe power switch to get you multiple ethernet ports in the remote building. If you want to power anything other than just the switch it is likely going to work.

Jul 6, 2023
To achieve gigabit speed and PoE, you need a 5-port Gigabit PoE switch. For extending to a secondary building, choose either one PoE switch in the main building and run cables (within 100m) or opt for separate PoE switches in each building connected via a dedicated link (fiber or wireless). Consider future expansion and network requirements before deciding. Verify switches support Gigabit Ethernet and have sufficient PoE power budget for your devices (e.g., 802.3af/802.3at).