Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
SPECS

Intel Core i5-4690 CPU

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Graphics

MSI Z97- HD3 Gaming 5 Motherboard

8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Memory

Corsair CX600M Power supply ‑ 600 Watt

I recently wanted to upgrade my CPU to an i7 4790k. So i went out, bought it, installed it and booted up a game to see the greatness and all I got was a maximum 15 fps game play on the lowest settings possible. So after tiresome hours of trouble shooting my new CPU and finding dead end answers. I decided to go ahead and re-swap my i7 for my i5 again. Now that my i5 is back in my system I boot up my game again and BAM! same 15 fps. So now I have reason to believe its my GPU and not my CPU. Please help me!!!

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
It's not the cpu, it's not the gpu. It has to be either settings or drivers.

I could have told you that an i7 would not have made hardly any difference if any.

It's not the amount of watts that's the problem with the Corsair. 600w is more than enough. It's the quality.

As said going from you i5 to i7 will make negligible difference when gaming. Also as said its the quality of CX PSU's that are poor, they are tier 4 on this list but have a bad reputation http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Try completely removing the GPU driver, rebooting and then reinstalling the driver.

Also sorry to ask but can you check, your monitor is plugged into the GPU and not the motherboard?

Solution

Mortified92

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015

I had my HDMI plugged into my motherboard. I was hoping that was the issue. So I went ahead to put my i7 back in to test it. I plugged everything back into their designated spots and now my computer turns on for 5 - 10 seconds then shuts off. Then boots back up on its own and shuts off again. Like as if it is struggling to start. Did I ruin my motherboard some how?

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
You didn't even have the hdmi hooked to the video card???

With all of this cpu switching, are you sure the cpu is seated correctly and the heatsink is installed correctly with new thermal paste? You have to clean off all of the old paste off of both the cpu and the heatsink and apply new paste each time you re-install.

Mortified92

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015

All the power sockets are plugged into where they needed to be. I even unplugged the power sockets to try and see if it would stay on with out the GPU. but it still continues the same thing. Could it be my CPU? seeing as all this started when I swapped them again.

Mortified92

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015

I have cleaned and applied new paste each time. After carefully applying new paste my PC now stays on. I am going to see if my FPS is fixed at all now.