Poor graphics with Hercules Geforce3 Ti 200

kremington

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
Hi All,
(Please see system specs below)
About 3 weeks ago I upgraded my graphics adapter with a (not so) new Hercules 3D Prophet III Ti 200 (Geforce3 Ti 200 chipset). After playing around with various settings, I'm becoming increasingly concerned that its not working up to spec. In particular I've noticed a degradation in some of the graphics effects in RTCW. For example, the flame from the flamethrower now appears as boxed images that spiral away, rather than the ethereal blast of fluid napalm rendered by my old Geforce2 MX. Another blatant example is the almost total loss of the misty ground fog that once covered the floor in specific areas of the catacombs. Do I just have a configuration issue here, or is this card lame? One thing I've noticed (probably unrelated) is that despite enabling Fast Writes in the BIOS, Hercules 3D Tweaker will NOT allow me to enable Fast Writes. Thanks for any ideas.

KR

Specs:
Windows XP Pro
Abit KR7A
AMD 1.2MHz Athlon T-bird
512MB Crucial PC2100
Hercules 3D Prophet III Ti 200
(tried both Hercules' included drivers and
nVidias Detonator XP v 23.11)
SB Audigy Gamer
Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
humm nice setup....check your bios settings and make sure you have agp fast writes and agp 4x set....(im sure you do but jsut in case)....memory timings for max performance should also be set inthe bios...besides that I dont really know why it isnt running good...
another good tweak is to go in your registry by typing regedit and go to hkeylocal machine ->to software -> to nvidia -> to nvtweak -> and a new d word and call it CoolBits and make the hex value 3...this enables overclocking on the ti200...
go to properties and settings advanced and to clock frequencies and you can adjust the timings...ive heard that the ti 200 can overclock to the performance of the ti500 almost so good luck man!

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Don't worry about fast writes they're disabled by the drivers anyway (too many problems with it enabled). Get rid of the 23.11 drivers and instal one of the 21.XX series. I run the 21.83's without a hitch. Later.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.