Question Poor gray uniformity normal on LG 32UD59?

Sep 20, 2019
Hello,

I have bought an LG 32UD59-B display and I am slightly disappointed by the gray uniformity. In the image below, I displayed a uniform 50% gray image at a contrast of 74 and a brightness of 70 on the display.

I would now like to know whether this non-uniformity of the brightness is to expected for a 32" at this price point. If this appears to be an outlier then I would try sending it back in hope of receiving a better one.

The review on rtings gave the monitor's gray uniformity 8.2 out of 10 and the photograph of their unit looks somewhat better than mine (rtings image).

If anybody owns the same model or has more experience with what to expect from such a monitor I would be interested in your opinion on whether this is an outlier or a normal unit.

Thank you for your feedback!

yinmQ5O.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
I don't own the monitor but I would like to offer a suggestion. Keep videos and pictures of the issue and bring LG up to speed with the issue as well as the people who you purchased the monitor from(seller) that way they will either acknowledge that you're going to need an RMA or they will be in the know about your issue.

If you can source the same monitor at a retailer and see if the same issue is seen then your unit might come from the same batch of monitors with the issue you're talking about. Also, you will need to replicate the same lighting conditions when taking pictures at the retailer to prove it was distorted by the camera.

Sep 20, 2019
Thank you, Lutfij, for your suggestions. Having a look at the monitor at a retailer sounds like a good idea. Reproducing the same conditions probably won't be possible but it will still give me some point of reference.

I should mention that the camera makes the non-uniformity indeed look worse than it does to the naked eye, even though it is still perceptible.

I did some more testing and the display looks fine when viewing videos or images or when playing games. The only brightness variation I do notice when using the monitor for not graphics related things is the dark area at the left border of the screen towards the top, for example when browsing this website.

All in all I think it is still a good monitor for the price with a minor flaw that makes it inadequate for graphics work or photographers, but that was to be expected. The black levels in particular are quite nice.

I'll try to get a look at another unit and ask some people what they think about it when using it.