Poor performance even with upgrade?...

Jagwar8

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
Hey all,
So I have a system as follows-
GTX 1060 3GB
MSI 990FXA Gaming Mobo
FX-8350 at 4.4ghz, 1.38v (upgraded from an FX-6300 at 4.5 ghz 1.38v or so)
Patriot Viper 8gb DDR3-1600 RAM

I upgrade to the fx-8350 with the understanding it would virtually eliminate any bottlenecking. However, I tried it out today (even after an overclock, to be certain it would perform well), on bf1 and it still does poorly. With a 25 ping and the ultra preset I get around 30-50fps. I've seen numerous videos even with my previous config that are able to get a solid 60. If this is the case with bf1 I'm sure it'll carry over to other games. The GPU usage stays at about 60-78% throughout the gameplay and the cpu at about 70-80%, I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. The ram was somewhere in the high 80s. What's the issue here? Why is my system performing so poorly compared to near identical ones? All I had open on my PC was bf1 and with it origin. I suffered driver hangs and assorted other errors previously and if it's going to persist with a new CPU I don't know what to do.

Solution
The RAM...

8 GB with an FX 8350 doesn't bode so well. Usually, the recommended config is 16 GB at 1866mhz. You can run it at 1600Mhz, but with 8 GB, you'll Bottleneck. This happened to me as well, with an FX 4350 chip that I had running at 4.9 Ghz, and at the time, I was getting high benchmarks. So I figured that with an 8350, my system will destroy my previous bench. Wrong.... Different chip, different functionality, which is why the 6300 worked well with 8 GB, and not well with the 8350. Keep in mind that AMD single and dual core scores are way slower than the Intel chips. The 8350 does well in multicore tests, obviously. But for single core, you'll struggle. And that chip functions more like a 4 core chip, while the 6300...

Ramlethal

Estimable
Ok... first of everything i think there are some missconceptions here.
It is true the normally similar pc builds may work the same or with very little difference between each other. BUT there are plenty of factors affecting this.
First of all, temperature : The temps are something that every single PC gamer are aware and the reason is that it may not only harm your components but also make them slower than usuall. Thats called Thermal Throattling, if you have a poor airflow or not a good cooling system and also you are in a pretty hot ambient you may experience thermal throattling and the only solution to make use of the 100% potential of your GPU is to lower the temps as much as possible by adding additional fans, replacing the case or even lowering the ambient temperature.
The second thing that may affect this could be The version of the Drivers installed, check if the ones you have are fully up to date.
The third thing its the Health status of your Whole PC, an OLD i7-4770k all dusty and poorly maintended will work way worse than a brand new i7-4770k.
And finally which could be the easier thing of this whole issue: You are not overclocking the GPU right, you are not adding any voltage to it and you havent disable the basic protections of Overclocking on the GPU.
Check everything up and tell me if you could figure out what was going on!

Cheers!

Jagwar8

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
Hey ramlethal,
Though your advice is helpful, I already have considered those factors. I have my fans running at around 80ish percent and my temps are well within the proper bounds, plus monitoring shows no throttling. I've done clean installs for my GPU drivers and update it consistently. And my CPU is brand new, not a week old, and the rest of the system I dust with air every month-I've only had it for about a year and a half. If by GPU you meant CPU, I've disabled the locks according to tutorials on the same motherboard and added voltage that I think works for the configuration. If you meant GPU I don't have it overclocked. I'm still unsure of why this is happening but I appreciate the tips.

inzane4all

Upstanding
Jun 20, 2018
The RAM...

8 GB with an FX 8350 doesn't bode so well. Usually, the recommended config is 16 GB at 1866mhz. You can run it at 1600Mhz, but with 8 GB, you'll Bottleneck. This happened to me as well, with an FX 4350 chip that I had running at 4.9 Ghz, and at the time, I was getting high benchmarks. So I figured that with an 8350, my system will destroy my previous bench. Wrong.... Different chip, different functionality, which is why the 6300 worked well with 8 GB, and not well with the 8350. Keep in mind that AMD single and dual core scores are way slower than the Intel chips. The 8350 does well in multicore tests, obviously. But for single core, you'll struggle. And that chip functions more like a 4 core chip, while the 6300 series function like a 2 (3) cores, and the 4350 more like single core. AMD man...…

I did manage to get better scores on bechmarks by OC the FSB though. Have you tried that? I had the FSB OC to 275 or so, and that did speed up everything. But it took A LOT of time to get it stable. Had to benchmark it and kept a close eye on temps.

Going back to your RAM, how many sticks do you have? That matters with the 8350 since it runs better in dual channel mode. So if you have one stick, then that can be another issue. If you have two sticks or more, try OC the RAM to 1866mhz if you feel comfortable (and if the board supports it). Some RAM will run at that speed even if they are 1600mhz. You just have to raise the voltage. You also have Viper memory... Is it the green colored one? I had nothing but problems with Viper memory DDR3 Green 1600mhz (1866mhz OC) model paired with the 8350. I kept getting crashes, random BSOD and my stress tests would pass or fail randomly. I swapped out the ram with some cheap one, and it fixed the issue. But that was my experience though.

I honestly loved that chip, but unfortunately it was holding me back. I settled for an i5 4670k and haven't looked back, although I would love to work on another 8350. Good luck!

Solution