Question Poor performance on my son's new PC ?

Mar 2, 2023
Hi everyone,

A month ago I bought my 10-y old his first PC. As I have had no contact with PC components for 20+ years I asked a local shop to build it.
My son said the (gaming) performance was fine for the first few days but now supposedly took a plunge. I started investigating a little and ran a benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/59631900

It appears that the processor performs way below average and the RAM is running below it's specified MHz as well.

Can I fix some of this in BIOS or in some other way?

This is on a fresh Win 10 install.
I have not installed any new drivers but would assume the shop did it.

What CPU cooler? Is the fan spinning?

The OS drive is full. A 256gb drive is just enough for Windows. All games will need to be installed on the HDD.

Download and install the latest chipset driver for 450 series boards from AMD website.

Install the latest AMD Adrenaline GPU drivers available on AMD website.

Install RAM in slots a2-b2. Enable XMP/D.O.C.P in BIOS.

Or take the PC back to the shop and tell those 🤡 to fix it!

XMP on RAM is not enabled. Was it so from the beginning? If yes that's a red flag. The shop that forgets to do that is not reliable. I would return it and seek a better shop.
CPU is running below its speed. Possibly overheating. I don't even know why they used this crappy cooler if the boxed one is enough for 3600 (actually I know - RGB bleh). Pretty much red flag as well.

One thing that is your fault is that SSD is too full. When using 256 Gb drive you only install Windows on it, everything else should be installed on second drive.

Mar 2, 2023
One thing that is your fault is that SSD is too full. When using 256 Gb drive you only install Windows on it, everything else should be installed on second drive.
Agree. My son installed a few games over the weekend and told me that it is full but I've had no time to fix it yet.
Good to know re not using SSD for games, I was told one could install: "The games one often plays on a SSD".
I will then uninstall everything and put it onto HDD.

And you are right about the cooler :)

@DRagor @drivinfast247

I did the following:
  • Updated drivers
  • Enabled XMP
  • Deleted most of the games from C
The performance went up noticeably (38th percentile to 59th), here the new score: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/59650844
For some reason the GPU dropped though from 109% to 92%. (Should I overclock?)

I guess we are good now (still need to check the RAM slots though), unless you suggest something else.

TY!
Looks much better. How does it perform?