Question Poor RAM performance even on XMP and overclock

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You also can look at my PC spec from userbenchmark link that I gave above
but here're they anyway:
MSI X570-A PRO
Ryzen 7 5800X
Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti
PSU Corsair TX750M 750W
Samsung SSD NVMe M2 970EVOPlus 250GB
WD Green SSD M2 240GB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB

My AIDA64 is probably an older version
Unless it also affect their benchmark / tool or stress test, I think it's fine?

Sorry mate, yes, I did see the link for userbench. DOH!

Might be worth updating Aida to see.

But, as mentioned, I think your latency is about right.

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
Sorry mate, yes, I did see the link for userbench. DOH!

Might be worth updating Aida to see.

But, as mentioned, I think your latency is about right.
Really?
I wish there's someone that I could compare result with...

You can change that through the bios. Go to memory timings section and then change the tRC value. It may be on auto, and you will manually change that to 58. Save, reboot, and see if it works. If it crashes, switch it back to auto, or whatever the previous setting was.
Alright
But before that, anything else I should change beside the tRC? I mean you know that if the RAM configuration fails there's a big chance that you need to reset BIOS settings manually through CMOS reset, so if I could I'd like to avoid that

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
tRC is 85 (it should be 58 instead).

Did you set those values manually?
You can change that through the bios. Go to memory timings section and then change the tRC value. It may be on auto, and you will manually change that to 58. Save, reboot, and see if it works. If it crashes, switch it back to auto, or whatever the previous setting was.
I set the tRC to 58 (from 85), latency decreased from 58.3ns to 57.1ns , could be margin error?
4JZIcie.png
J26wAbU.png

Yes, there might be some small changes from run to run, so small variations may occur.

BTW Is Windows up to date fully? Latest bios running? Latest bios can fix unstable ram or increase performance. Worth doing to see if the results are better.

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
Yes, there might be some small changes from run to run, so small variations may occur.

BTW Is Windows up to date fully? Latest bios running? Latest bios can fix unstable ram or increase performance. Worth doing to see if the results are better.
Yes, Windows 10 (up to date)
And yes, did an update on BIOS before installing 5800X (from 2700)

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
closing this thread due to no further answer
and unfortunately i still have no answer to my problem, hopefully my future self would find it

closing this thread due to no further answer
and unfortunately i still have no answer to my problem, hopefully my future self would find it
well the aswer is zen2/zen3 have half of write bandwith then any other processors (compared with either from intel or zen1), thats why you get low userbenchmark score, but aida shows latency and read bandwith as it should be.
real asnwer to this would be that link between CPU die and IO die talks just 16B/cycle, all single die CCX have half of write bandwith, if you use CPU with two CCX dies, you will have 2x16B/cycle and it will give you full write bandwith
amd said games barely use ram writes, they are read and latency dependent
and single CCX is also better for CPU to CPU latency aswell

Status
Not open for further replies.