Pop-up during HDD extention

kimonji

Honorable
Apr 8, 2015
Hi

I have 2 internal disk drives in my PC. One is SSD with Windows 7 on it, and another is a 1TB HDD for storage. The HDD is split into two equally sized partitions (A and B drives). I freed 200GB of space by shrinking B drive tried to add it onto A for more space. In the disk volume extension wizard for A drive, I got this pop-up message:

"The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s) (except the current boot volume). Are you sure you want to continue?"

I'm not sure I understood what it meant. I have no operating system on this HDD so I assume I'm safe to continue the volume extension? But then in the message it said "disk(s)"...so I'm not sure if this operation will render my Windows 7 on my SSD unusable.

Please let me know if I'm safe to go for the volume extension.

Thank you

kimonji

Honorable
Apr 8, 2015
I just have some follow-up questions:

What does dynamic and basic disks mean? What will I notice after changing it to dynamic?

Also, is there a way to convert a partition or disk back to basic? Or is there no need to?