Question Port closed even though it's open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2022
edit: FIXED IT WORKS FINALLY AFTER ONE WEEK

So I am trying to portforward a game called 'Project Zomboid' which uses the following port: 16261 , (8767, 8766 (steam ports)). Yes I am double NAT'd however
I have access to both routers
Let's call IspRouter = ISP's router and MyRouter = My actual router which is connected to IspRouter

I have done the following I went to '192.168.0.1' this is IspRouter's gateway and I have portforwarded it with the necessary ports to MyRouter after that I went to '192.168.1.1' this is MyRouter and portforwarded it with the necessary ports to my computer that being '192.168.0.106' allowed the ports through the firewall (Inbound connections) and started the .bat that would start the server the server is setting up properly but when I use a port checker it says that the port is closed I have called my ISP to check if the port is blocked and they said no so can anyone help me figure this thing out? I am going insane and I am just thinking that I might have a virus that is blocking some ports I actually don't know what to do. I'll maybe call my ISP tomorrow and ask them if they can put IspRouter into bridge mode and if that doesn't work I'll just reinstall my windows.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
So I am trying to portforward a game called 'Project Zomboid' which uses the following port: 16261 , (8767, 8766 (steam ports)). Yes I am double NAT'd however
I have access to both routers
Let's call IspRouter = ISP's router and MyRouter = My actual router which is connected to IspRouter

I have done the following I went to '192.168.0.1' this is IspRouter's gateway and I have portforwarded it with the necessary ports to MyRouter after that I went to '192.168.1.1' this is MyRouter and portforwarded it with the necessary ports to my computer that being '192.168.0.106' allowed the ports through the firewall (Inbound connections) and started the .bat that would start the server the server is setting up properly but when I use a port checker it says that the port is closed I have called my ISP to check if the port is blocked and they said no so can anyone help me figure this thing out? I am going insane and I am just thinking that I might have a virus that is blocking some ports I actually don't know what to do. I'll maybe call my ISP tomorrow and ask them if they can put IspRouter into bridge mode and if that doesn't work I'll just reinstall my windows.
Is it required that "MyRouter" be configured as a router rather than an access point? You could eliminate the double NAT that way also.

Jan 17, 2022
Is it required that "MyRouter" be configured as a router rather than an access point? You could eliminate the double NAT that way also.
No, however I have tried to connect to IspRouter and portforward it that way but I have had no success either I have tried other ports (qbtorrent) and they open just fine

Jan 17, 2022
You could run wireshark and see if traffic is getting to your server on the ports you expect. It could be a bug in the port checker....
udp.port == 16261 || tcp.port == 16261 I have tried that and nothing do I need to try and connect to the server or just run the .bat?

I have also tried to join the server but the server is not responding
I don't think wireshark is an option here since the game just tells me that I cannot connect

kanewolf

Titan
udp.port == 16261 || tcp.port == 16261 I have tried that and nothing do I need to try and connect to the server or just run the .bat?

I have also tried to join the server but the server is not responding
I don't think wireshark is an option here since the game just tells me that I cannot connect
I am obviously missing something. Are you trying to run the server or connect to a remote server ?

Jan 17, 2022
So you have to have the server running, and be able to connect to it successfully, before you can test your ports being open. You need a second computer on the same LAN as the server so that you can validate that it is running and responding.
So what you are telling me is that I need a player to be in the game before I can test my ports? or is it just to make sure that the server is set-up properly because the console says it's fine but the ports are blocked

I have done that before but I couldn't use it with my public ip

kanewolf

Titan
So what you are telling me is that I need a player to be in the game before I can test my ports? or is it just to make sure that the server is set-up properly because the console says it's fine but the ports are blocked
No. You need the server running and to have verified that you can connect to it on the LAN. You don't have to have anybody on the game, but you need to verify that the server can be connected to at-all. If it doesn't work locally, it will never show that it is working via the WAN.

Jan 17, 2022
No. You need the server running and to have verified that you can connect to it on the LAN. You don't have to have anybody on the game, but you need to verify that the server can be connected to at-all. If it doesn't work locally, it will never show that it is working via the WAN.
I have tested it on another laptop and it does in fact work

kanewolf

Titan
I have tested it on another laptop and it does in fact work
This is one situation where wireshark running on the server host could help verify that the ports you think are required are the correct ones.
But if you can connect on the LAN, then without changing anything on the server, you should be able to validate your remote access.
In your very first post you said
I went to '192.168.0.1' this is IspRouter's gateway and I have portforwarded it with the necessary ports to MyRouter
Does that mean you setup the port forward on ISP router to go to the WAN IP address shown on "MyRouter" ??? Do you have that IP as a static or DHCP ?

Jan 17, 2022
This is one situation where wireshark running on the server host could help verify that the ports you think are required are the correct ones.
But if you can connect on the LAN, then without changing anything on the server, you should be able to validate your remote access.
In your very first post you said

Does that mean you setup the port forward on ISP router to go to the WAN IP address shown on "MyRouter" ??? Do you have that IP as a static or DHCP ?
I think its DHCP I can make it static but with the tests I have done nothing has changed
I have also done dhcp binding

And yes I did something like this IspRouter -> MyRouter -> My computer

Fyi I will go to sleep so I will not respond for some hours kinda late here

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I think its DHCP I can make it static but with the tests I have done nothing has changed
I have also done dhcp binding

And yes I did something like this IspRouter -> MyRouter -> My computer

Fyi I will go to sleep so I will not respond for some hours kinda late here
DHCP binding, assuming it works is the same as static. The WAN IP address of "MyRouter" should never change.
It should be ISPRouter -> MyRouter (WAN) -> PC
So port forwards on ISPRouter to MyRouter(WAN) -- MyRouter forwards to PC.

Jan 17, 2022
SHvQUxr.png

z1kBf0O.png

If you want to take a look
192.168.1.8 (LAN / WAN IP from MyRouter)
192.168.0.106 (My computer)

kanewolf

Titan
What do you mean by “unknowns”
I have already tried that and the ports are still closed
Unknowns -- You don't KNOW that your ISP port forward is working.
If you have tried connecting the PC to the ISP router, and changing the PC IP address to match your forward rules, then either your ISP is preventing it, or you have some syntax error in your forwarding rules.

Jan 17, 2022
Unknowns -- You don't KNOW that your ISP port forward is working.
If you have tried connecting the PC to the ISP router, and changing the PC IP address to match your forward rules, then either your ISP is preventing it, or you have some syntax error in your forwarding rules.
I have tried again just to make sure that it doesn't work and it doesn't work
Why would my ISP block the ports when my friends can make a server themselves and we have the same ISP I have also called them and they said that there are no blocked ports so I am guessing it's a "syntax error"

kanewolf

Titan
I have tried again just to make sure that it doesn't work and it doesn't work
Why would my ISP block the ports when my friends can make a server themselves and we have the same ISP I have also called them and they said that there are no blocked ports so I am guessing it's a "syntax error"
I don't know. But if you set the PC to 192.168.1.8, and have the server running, then
either there is a problem with your rules (and they look reasonable) but could be wrong.
Your Windows firewall is causing problems -- but you say you can connect via another PC on the LAN.
You have the wrong ports identified in your rules -- Possible. You could use the netstat -a command on your server to see what ports are either either established or listening
Your ISP is preventing something.
Some other option in your ISP router is preventing it -- some kind of firewall setting or something.
If your ISP router has a DMZ option, you could move your PC IP address to that and see if it works.

Jan 17, 2022
I don't know. But if you set the PC to 192.168.1.8, and have the server running, then
either there is a problem with your rules (and they look reasonable) but could be wrong.
Your Windows firewall is causing problems -- but you say you can connect via another PC on the LAN.
You have the wrong ports identified in your rules -- Possible. You could use the netstat -a command on your server to see what ports are either either established or listening
Your ISP is preventing something.
Some other option in your ISP router is preventing it -- some kind of firewall setting or something.
If your ISP router has a DMZ option, you could move your PC IP address to that and see if it works.
Called my ISP and asked them to change IspRouter to bridge mode so now MyRouter has the public ip I think we can work it out now and I am no more double nat'd

Status
Not open for further replies.