Port-forwarding/Can't connect: DVR security camera system

The Communist

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
My brother and his buddies recently had a lot of break-ins and have installed a DVR security camera system, everything works perfectly on the DVR; you can see the camera, interact with it, etc...but what me and him can't figure out, is how to setup the actual internet part, get it to connect and interact with our router so you can login online to control it and view it as well....My first thoughts are port forwarding but I don't know what port to use, what IP and things like that. I can get that info if it's needed, but if one of you have a pretty straightforward way of making it connect/work please share....thank you!

- COM.

Solution
What is the DVR system they are using?

You are correct that you would use port forwarding.
You will need to find what port the dvr is using and will also want to assing it a static IP address instead of letting your router assign it. You should not use the default port number and absolutely not use the default username and password.

You also have the problem of your ISPs IP adress.
Most ISP companies asssign you a dynamic address. A dynamic address changes every few weeks as the lease expires and their system assigns you a new address.
You will either have to change your connection settings every couple of weeks or use what is called DynamicDNS service. There are free ones and paid ones, but many routers dont provide support for...
What is the DVR system they are using?

You are correct that you would use port forwarding.
You will need to find what port the dvr is using and will also want to assing it a static IP address instead of letting your router assign it. You should not use the default port number and absolutely not use the default username and password.

You also have the problem of your ISPs IP adress.
Most ISP companies asssign you a dynamic address. A dynamic address changes every few weeks as the lease expires and their system assigns you a new address.
You will either have to change your connection settings every couple of weeks or use what is called DynamicDNS service. There are free ones and paid ones, but many routers dont provide support for the free ones. By support I mean that the router will automatically allert your DNS service that your IP address has changed. This way instaed of typeing 111.22.33.444 for an IP address and the next week typing 555.11.23.487 you woud always type dns.youraccount.com and it would link to the DynamicDNS service and it would know what your current IP is.

Solution

The Communist

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

Thank you for the helpful response! I'm currently at work and I am not sure about the DVR system they are using, I do know however, they are using a Linksys cisco router. I will provide more info later today, please keep in touch! :)