port forwarding for utorrent on double modem network

nishicant

Commendable
Aug 18, 2018
i received a message from my torrent site/tracker that i'm not connectable since ports are firewalled or NATed. so my upload is not good.

i have an internet connection with 2 modems. 1st is a primary modem (A) connected to the internet cable and 2nd modem (B) is in neighbouring room and connects to modem A by wifi.
i use utorrent and have opened ports in windows firewall by adding new inbound and outbound rules. yet i'm not connectable to peers. i suppose i need to do port forwarding through my router (as i read online).
so my questions are-
1. how do i do port forwarding since i've 2 modems?
2. will this affect the connection between 2 modems? (the isp tech guy told me that if i make changes to the router/modem they will disconnect and isp guys will have to reset the connection)

You will probably need to do port forwarding on box A (router/modem). If you have to do anything on box B depends on what it is doing.

If your computer connects to box B via WiFi, then box B is most likely a range extender and you don't have to do anything on box B.
If your computer connects to box B via Ethernet and box B only has 1 Ethernet port, then box B is most likely an external WiFi adapter (could be USB also) and you don't have to do anything on B.
If box B has multiple Ethernet ports, then it might be a router and where you need to do port forwarding totally depends on the setup. Open a command prompt and enter "tracert google.com". This will show most (some will give an IP address/name, just *). What we are most interested in is the IP address on the first 2 lines. If they both are private addresses (starting with 192 or 10), then you will have have to port forward both boxes. If only the IP address on the first line is private, then you will only have to port forward on the box that corresponds to that address.

Let us know what you find out.

nishicant

Commendable
Aug 18, 2018

thanks for replying

box B connects to box A and computer connects to box B via WiFi.
i ran the trace command
first 2 lines give ip addresses starting with 128 and 10 respectively.

what next?

So box B definitely sounds like a WiFi extender and thus all port forwarding would be done on your router/modem (A).

The IP address you provided are a bit confusing. 10.x.x.x is a private address and what I would expect for your gateway .. ie .. computer is 10.0.0.15 and gateway is 10.0.0.1 ... you can see this information by running "ipconfig" in a command prompt.
128.x.x.x is a public address and I am hoping this is the 2nd hop (you make it sound like the first). If it really is the first then your network configuration is not done correctly (yes, it will work, but it's not proper.).

So, next step, using the model number for your router/modem, google "port forwarding" and the model number and that should give you multiple sites with instructions. I would review a couple of them. If they say the same thing, then the instructions should be good. If they differ, then you might want to check some more sites until you find a consensus.

nishicant

Commendable
Aug 18, 2018

sorry it is 192.x.x.x.x on the 1st hop (my bad!) and 10.x.x.x on the 2nd one.

can you please mention just the basic steps of port forwarding or at least suggest some reliable forums where i can get this info specific to my case?
will port forwarding on modem A disconnect the modem B?

Ok, that makes more sense. So, you actually have 2 routers. You will have to do the port forward on both.

Port forwarding should not mess up the connection between A and B ... one caveat, I don't know what hardware you are using. If it is generic hardware (stuff you can buy at Best Buy or Amazon) then I would be shocked if it messed it up. If this is specialized hardware, then all bets are off.

I always consider the owners manual as the best resource. Most can be found online. portforward.com does a pretty good job and their instructions are clear (and they will try hard to sell you software). Start by comparing the 2.

Dec 10, 2018
If you searching Best uTorrent alternatives
I recommend to you BitTorrent, FrostWire etc.
If you want to know more information about it and more uTorrent alternatives then
click here..https://www.totallreview.com/2018/10/Best-uTorrent-Alternatives.html