Question Port forwarding not working anymore

Sep 21, 2021
Hello! I've been hosting a minecraft server using port forwarding from time to time to play with a couple of friends, usually using a modpack (idk if that matters) and I've run into quite a few troubles but I've always solved them with the help of my friends. Now I wanted to try out a new modpack and I did what I usually do, I downloaded the files for the server, made sure everything's set like usual, checked the ip in that cmd using ipconfig, then I should be able to start the server and join using the same ip, because I am using the same network as the server, but my friends should use the one found on google by searching my ip.
Note: I own a pc and a laptop, both connected to the same network via cable, the laptop is pretty new and runs much better so I use that to play minecraft, but I host the server on the pc and that way I can save some ram on the laptop and it doesn't heat up as much
The thing is, that always worked until now, but a few days ago I started the server and my minecraft was saying it can't connect to the server, as if it was closed
I tried to check the usual server related stuff in the "server.properties" file and the eula and all that, checked if any ip changed, checked the port (currently using the defaut one 25565) and it was enabled even tried to reset the router (I unplugged it and then plugged it back if after a minute), all the basic stuff I know, but nothing helped..
I tried to host the server on the laptop just to check if that works and it does, I could play without any issues, then I tried to transfer the files to the pc and just change the ip in the properties and that meant the server should totally work but it didn't.
I read a few other questions on this forum but since I don't understand everything, I'm not that good with the specific terms used, I didn't manage to solve anything yet.
P.S. I saw something about the ip being 192.168.x.y that meant it wouldn't work for using port forwarding, but mine worked until now and I don't know if I understood anything wrong or how that works, but I thought I should mention it.
I also heard something about turning on bridge mode and I looked up how to do it but got stuck in the process since I don't really understand what that does and I have no one to ask.

Sep 21, 2021
If you can't connect to the server on a LAN connected host, then you have a problem other than port forwarding.
Maybe firewall on the "server" host.
About that, I tried to open a test world to LAN just to check if I can join it and here's what I found out
When I would open a world to LAN from my laptop and try to join it from the pc, that worked and I could join and play no problem
When I opened a world from the pc and done the same exact steps to connect, checked the ip and everything, I couldn't get it to work, it would say Connection timed out
And about the firewall, I checked all the boxes saying Java(TM) Platform SE binary, they are also checked on public, so I don't think firewall is the problem, either that or I missed something I don't know

kanewolf

Titan
About that, I tried to open a test world to LAN just to check if I can join it and here's what I found out
When I would open a world to LAN from my laptop and try to join it from the pc, that worked and I could join and play no problem
When I opened a world from the pc and done the same exact steps to connect, checked the ip and everything, I couldn't get it to work, it would say Connection timed out
And about the firewall, I checked all the boxes saying Java(TM) Platform SE binary, they are also checked on public, so I don't think firewall is the problem, either that or I missed something I don't know
Is there a software firewall running on the host you are trying to run as a server? If so, temporarily disable it and try connecting.

Your statements about laptop and PC have me confused. Which host do you desire to be the minecraft server?