Question Port forwarding not working, what to do?

Apr 13, 2024
I have finnish named provaider named "DNA", so I haven't found information about port forwarding. Even the fact that there is no tutorials in internet I still tried to do it. I have tried everything that is free but nothing seems to work. I would like to have help

Solution
The major reason you do not have a public IP is the ISP must pay a lot of money to get them. All the IP were given out many years ago and now companies hoard them.

You might find a so called free vpn service but they are not going to be able to give you a dedicated public IP. The vpn company can not afford to give you that for free. Most of so called free ones are dishonest to begin with. They either have extremely low data caps trying to get you to pay for service or they do stuff like inject advertising. Really bad one a few years ago ran bit coin miners on people machines.

Now there are some vpn companies that will give you a "port" on one of their ip addresses. It will not be the common minecraft server port but...

kanewolf

Titan
I have finnish named provaider named "DNA", so I haven't found information about port forwarding. Even the fact that there is no tutorials in internet I still tried to do it. I have tried everything that is free but nothing seems to work. I would like to have help
Have you verified that the router has a public IP address? The WAN address listed in the router must match https://whatismyipaddress.com

Maybe we backup a step and ask why do you think you need port forwarding.

Generally it means you are running some kind of game server in your house, say a minecraft server. This is a somewhat advance thing and when you do not even know what WAN address means it is unlikely you are running a server.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm bad at english and I thought that every router has public IP, so I wanted to confirm, that I understand correctly
No. Some ISP have a router between your router and the public IP. So your router gets a private IP or something called "Carrier NAT" IP.
OK. If you have a public IP, you have the possibility of port forwarding.
I have the same question as @bill001g WHY are you trying to port forward ?

Most people do not need a public IP and there is shortage of IPv4 addresses so ISP do not always assign public IP.

It is almost impossible for example to get a public IP assigned to a cell phone. People that use a mobile broadband router also tend to not get a public IP.

There are pretty much 3 things that make a server not respond.

1. You do not have a public ip ...this is the most common but you say you have a public IP.
2. The port forwarding is not setup correctly....your looks ok.
3. The minecraft server is not actually listening on the port you think it is or is not active. Can you get into the server using the local IP. Can you see the port you are connecting on.

TRENDING THREADS