[SOLVED] Port Forwarding not working with new modem.

MattMark

Reputable
May 31, 2016
Ever since I got a new modem from my ISP I have not been able to get port forwarding to work. I set my IP to static and I am connect into the modem via LAN. I also have a router connected to the modem but I am not plugged into that via LAN.
Modem: hitron coda-4582

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Ever since I got a new modem from my ISP I have not been able to get port forwarding to work. I set my IP to static and I am connect into the modem via LAN. I also have a router connected to the modem but I am not plugged into that via LAN.
Modem: hitron coda-4582
The Hitron coda-4582 is a modem/router combo.
Have you compared your IP address on whatsmyip vs the WAN IP shown in the Hitron ?
Since that device is IPv6 capable, your ISP may not give you an IPv4 address.

MattMark

Reputable
May 31, 2016
The Hitron coda-4582 is a modem/router combo.
Have you compared your IP address on whatsmyip vs the WAN IP shown in the Hitron ?
Since that device is IPv6 capable, your ISP may not give you an IPv4 address.
I have not checked that, but I just did. My IP on "whatsmyip" is the same as the WAN IP address listed in the modem status screen.

kanewolf

Titan
Solution

MattMark

Reputable
May 31, 2016
Have you verified connectivity to the game server on the LAN?
Is the game server running?

Does this look like the screens for your router -- https://www.midco.com/contentassets/a8faa9563b6b49e5b244ef7418c1b314/hitron-coda-4582.pdf
Section 4.4 (PDF page 69) has port forwarding description.
So I started the game server and it works. The port checking websites also say the port is open now, strange. I guess the server needs to be running for these websites to check if the port is open?

kanewolf

Titan
So I started the game server and it works. The port checking websites also say the port is open now, strange. I guess the server needs to be running for these websites to check if the port is open?
YES!! the server needs to be running. Port checker software has to have something listening at the port to recognize it is open. With nothing listening, it is the equivalent of blocked.