[SOLVED] Port Forwarding on Sagecom F@st 5260

jlantier

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Hi,

I'm trying to open a game to our friends in a nearby town. The game uses Telnet.

The router is a Sagecom F@st 5260.

I have the server on 192.168.1.250. It's a static IP. Its firewalls are off. As far as I can tell, it should accept Port 23 connections from anything.

I use Putty as the client.

The connection works fine across our home network. The server answers immediately and input and output work normally.

When I connect to our Outside address (whatismyip,com) on port 23, putty appears to connect - there are no errors about timing out or failing to connect. It opens a Putty window. The issue is that there is no input or output. The server does not display its greeting message and when you type, nothing appears in the putty windows.

On the 6250's settings, I have tried both Port Forwarding and changing the Telnet entry in the Firewall rules. Each of those one at a time, and both at the same time .

I have used an online open port tester and it says Port 23 is Open. Still nothing from Putty; just a blank, black window that will stay open as long as you like, just won't display anything.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Solution
They don't block much if they do, we have people on here almost every couple days trying to forward mine craft servers and many of them are on charter. They seem to allow that port because people have gotten their servers to work.

If you really want to test it you can plug a PC into the wan port and then manually set the IP on both the router and the PC. The router will think the pc is the internet. This leaves only the router between you and your server.

Maybe a different question, where is the pc you are trying to connect with. It is actually on a different ISP coming in via the internet or are you just on the lan trying to use the WAN ip. The router needs a special feature many times called hairpin, most routers...

jlantier

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Turned on DMZ and gave it the IP of the game server (.250).
Rebooted the router.
Tried connecting to game from outside address.
Same result! An open Putty window that's just black and will not accept input.
Went back into the router and made sure the DMZ setting is still in place. It is.

Change the port to say 99 on your server. A router really should not allow any traffic to connect to the router itself from the internet but it might. This is more of a issue on say port 80 because some routers allow you to manage it via the internet. Telnet is not really supported in general but you never know. What happens if you try to open a telnet session to your router ip from the lan. If it connects it could be the router supports telnet and for some reason is intercepting the traffic.

jlantier

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
I tried port 99, changed the firewall rule, then tried it on DMZ instead.
All the same results, a local connection from inside the house works right away, trying to use the "Internet"-side IP address and port results in an open Putty screen that has no text input or output.

Remembering that the first 1024 ports are "commonly used", I changed the port number to something unlikely, 9900, and tried the firewall and DMZ settings again. Same thing; Putty acts like it's connected (it never gives any kind of "connection refused" message) but there is no text in the window (the server "greeting" telling you how to log in) and it doesn't display any of your input if you start typing.

I took the "nuclear option" and just bought 3 months of a Virtual Private Server. I'm having exactly the same issue on it. I think that means it's something on my end of the connection that's derailing Telnet.

I'm at a loss ...

jlantier

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Reading some Charter support threads, it appears there are a number of ports they block on their end to prevent people from running servers out of their home. Port 23 can be among them.

I had questions, but I guess I'm satisfied with the answer that "it's being blocked at the ISP level" without having to worry every particular.

They don't block much if they do, we have people on here almost every couple days trying to forward mine craft servers and many of them are on charter. They seem to allow that port because people have gotten their servers to work.

If you really want to test it you can plug a PC into the wan port and then manually set the IP on both the router and the PC. The router will think the pc is the internet. This leaves only the router between you and your server.

Maybe a different question, where is the pc you are trying to connect with. It is actually on a different ISP coming in via the internet or are you just on the lan trying to use the WAN ip. The router needs a special feature many times called hairpin, most routers do not document if they support that or not.

Solution