port forwarding or DMZ

londo.4

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
First of all I can not get either to work.

Background and need. I have a machine I am going to use as an off site back up for some servers at work. I will need remote access to this machine from the office I have an Aris modem 192.168.0.1 with wowway isp and connected to Linksys EA9500 192.168.1.1 home wifi.

First: do I use port forwarding or DMZ

Second: From where do I do this? When I try to port forward from the Aris, the ip always changes to 0.0.0.0 I have set the machine to a static IP from within the wireless network 192.161.1.101
When I try DMZ from the Aris, I get an error saying unrecognizable ip

Third: I have tried this from within the linksys and in combination with them both. I just can not seem to find the correct combination of options to choose. Any help?

Thanks in advance
Alexis

Solution
Functionally it does not matter per se if the target backup machine is wired or wireless.

Wireless is inherently slower and much more susceptible to interference or other disruptive events.

Which specific Arris modem is being used?

You may or may not have some configurational control of the process on both ends.

But the middle (being the ISPs involved and the physical internet connection paths in between) are out of your control.

Try to tweak what you can legitimately manage. Performance may or may not go beyond some limit as determined by the slowest interim link.

Tracert and pathping may help you identify the bottleneck(s).

Ralston18

Titan
Off site setup per the following line diagram:

Wowway ISP ----> Arris modem --- Ethernet cable --->[WAN port] Linksys EA9500 [LAN port] ---Ethernet cable ---> [LAN]target off site backup machine

You will want to disable DHCP on the Arris modem and configure the Linksys EA9500 router with port forwarding to the desired destination port on the backup machine.

The backup machine will need to have a static IP established via the router's configuration settings. That static IP should be reserved for the backup machine's MAC and that static IP should also be outside of the available DHCP IP address range allocated to the router.

Here is a link that should help:

https://portforward.com/linksys/ea9500/

Please feel free to correct any errors of omission or commission on my part. Just correct the line diagram as necessary and post accordingly.

Note: I did look for and kept finding the User Guide/Manual for the EA9500 via the following link:

http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/EA9500-UG_20160314.pdf

Seems to be multi-language and very cumbersome to use.....

londo.4

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
I am trying your solution. Logging into the modem takes forever.

Your steamline of my system is correct except the backup machine connection is wireless and will have to stay that way. There is not a lot to back up and I will be doing this in the middle of the night so I am hoping the connection speed will work. Does this change your solution?

Alexis

Ralston18

Titan
Functionally it does not matter per se if the target backup machine is wired or wireless.

Wireless is inherently slower and much more susceptible to interference or other disruptive events.

Which specific Arris modem is being used?

You may or may not have some configurational control of the process on both ends.

But the middle (being the ISPs involved and the physical internet connection paths in between) are out of your control.

Try to tweak what you can legitimately manage. Performance may or may not go beyond some limit as determined by the slowest interim link.

Tracert and pathping may help you identify the bottleneck(s).

Solution