Port forwarding problem - port is occupied

Mar 27, 2018
Hi! I was just trying to forward a single port in my router for TCP and UDP. Now all the tutorials I read so far in the internet (via google :ange:) mentioned that either under Port Forward/Virtual Server setting page there should be an option like 'Tcp - UDP - Both' and in that case I've to select both or if there isn't any 'Both' option then I've to make two entries- one for TCP and another for UDP accordingly.

My problem is in my router there is no 'Both' option for TCP and UDP. So I assume that I've to make two entries, one each for TCP and UDP.
But after making the first entry, be it TCP or UDP, with a static ip I've already set, the second entry I'm trying to make for the same port says that 'The port is occupied'. So I am unable to make the other entry as those tutorials explained must for a P2P client to work properly. But how can I do so here? Below is the screenshot of my port forwarding setting page-
30cahrs.jpg

I didn't delve into the router hardware, fw version, os name, ram etc as I think is not so important here to understand and answer my problem. I already set a static up in router. Can make one either TCP or UDP port forwarding rule in there. But then I'm stuck and really need your expertise to solve the mystery and have a workaround to the problem as how to make the second entry for the tcp or udp???

I've two more things to ask though- what is the difference here as WAN port and LAN port mentioned above in the page? I know that I've to put there the same port number in both blanks which I want to forward (correct me if I'm wrong here) but still what's the difference? I thought I was forwarding WAN port then why I've to fill the LAN block too?

And second, is NAT port triggering can be of any help here? Read couple of explanation about the difference between port forwarding and port triggering but it still confusing me!

Anyone care to help me out here? :(

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

To answer your main issue, it would be helpful to know the make and model of the router.

While the WAN and LAN ports are typically the same, they both must be specified since in cases where multiple servers are used in a home network, it is necessary to use different WAN ports to access servers operating on identical LAN ports (e.g. for access to several security cameras).

We would need to know the server application to which you are port forwarding in order to answer about port triggering. In port triggering, the LAN server is required to initiate a connection on a specific port, so there are very limited circumstances in which triggering can be used.

Mar 27, 2018

really sorry..that screenshot was the default one...I updated it now.
It should be like that--first open tcp port and then make a new entry with same details for udp port.
But I cann't do this in a single entry as the Protocol option don't have 'Both' to select there.
My problem is after making the first rule, be it tcp or udp, I can't make the second rule as the router shows a message that - 'This port has been occupied'! :/

Mar 27, 2018

Thank you for replying.
I'm using a d-link wireless router, on win 7 x64bit os and trying to learn the port forwarding for a P2P application.
The router is connected to my desktop with rj45 cable.
The problem is that in port forwarding when you make a forward rule you have to choose from protocol option - 'TCP / UDP / BOTH'.
Now for P2P clients you normally choose the 'BOTH" protocol option, according to numerous tutorials I read regarding this.
My case there isn't any both option. So I assumed that I've to make two entries with same details, one for tcp and then the next for udp. Same port number, same static ip everything, only difference TCP or UDP. But after making the first entry, for TCP, I can't make the second one, for UDP, or vice versa, as my router tells me 'This port has been occupied'. What to do then??? :(