port forwarding two routers

David131

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
I've two routers the first is the HG658c the second is the HG659 my pc is connected to the second which is connected to the first. I'm trying to set up a FTB/Minecraft server for my friends and I but I don't know how. I've followed multiple guides without success I also went to portforward.com and downloaded the network utilities program but it shows only one router in the system (I guess the second just acts as a relay?) so I'm wondering if anyone can help me with setting this up any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

kenyon.jonathan

Honorable
Sep 11, 2018
"run server on pc, and open ports on both routers"
I am afraid that is completely wrong. Why have you two routers? I am reading your question and would think that this is a home set-up. No need at all for two routers, specially as both of these are DSL routers so a disaster to run in series. Bin one and bye a cheap Switch or Access point. Depending on what you want it for.

David131

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

my room is separated from the house by a big enough distance that the access points are useless the second router is pretty much acting as an access point though

2nd router should be connected to the first by LAN ports not WAN. It should also have all its router functions disabled, such as DHCP, firewall, DNS etc, basically turning it in to a dumb switch / media bridge and the router should have a static IP ?

Then on the 1st router, portforward TCP/UDP 25565 to IP address of server, whcih should be a static IP.

kenyon.jonathan

Honorable
Sep 11, 2018

Hi no mater what you do you will not be able to turn off all the services running. it will always give you trouble. replace it with a cheap access point and all will go away. wasting your time doing anything else. I speak with a lot of practical experience.

kenyon.jonathan

Honorable
Sep 11, 2018

Hi no mater what you do you will not be able to turn off all the services running. it will always give you trouble. replace it with a cheap access point and all will go away. wasting your time doing anything else. I speak with a lot of practical experience.

David131

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

already did all of the above im missing some key issue that i cant seem to solve

kenyon.jonathan

Honorable
Sep 11, 2018

David131

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

I have the router working and it works well and gives good internet speed its just the port forwarding through it is the issue and I'm pretty sure that's mostly cause I don't know what I'm doing

So can you connect your pc to the ethernet cable the second router is using...even if it means running a cable over the floor. This way you can be sure you have the port forwarding working correctly without the complexity of the second device. I am going to bet you just did something wrong with the port forward.

The second router should be 100% transparent when you set it up as a AP. It is likely you have it setup correctly if you can use the internet just be very sure you are not using the WAN port on the second router.