[SOLVED] Port Forwarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2022
I have set up Port Forwarding in my router here to a specific LAN IP Address. When the computer on that Address runs an appropriate programme, it allows external access into that machine. All fine so far.

I tried using an online Port Forwarding Tester, but this only works when that specific machine is running that particular programme. I have also tried using Telnet to check if the port(s) is/are open, but it always reports "could not open connection to the host, on port xxxx: Connect failed." Is there a way of testing the Port Forwarding through my router without that specific machine or its software programme running?

I need to try to diagnose and troubleshoot an identical setup at a remote site, which uses the same software, but does NOT work!

Solution
....I tried using an online Port Forwarding Tester, but this only works when that specific machine is running that particular programme. I have also tried using Telnet to check if the port(s) is/are open, but it always reports "could not open connection to the host, on port xxxx: Connect failed." Is there a way of testing the Port Forwarding through my router without that specific machine or its software programme running?
This is working as it's supposed to. If there's nothing present to respond on that port then of course you aren't going to see an open port.

I need to try to diagnose and troubleshoot an identical setup at a remote site, which uses the same software, but does NOT work!
....I tried using an online Port Forwarding Tester, but this only works when that specific machine is running that particular programme. I have also tried using Telnet to check if the port(s) is/are open, but it always reports "could not open connection to the host, on port xxxx: Connect failed." Is there a way of testing the Port Forwarding through my router without that specific machine or its software programme running?
This is working as it's supposed to. If there's nothing present to respond on that port then of course you aren't going to see an open port.

Assuming an exact match to the working setup then look to the provider. They may be natting their customers. Check that the IP address given to the router matches the IP address reported at a site such as https://whatismyipaddress.com/ If they don't match then Port Forwarding will never work.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.