[SOLVED] Port still closed after port forwarding, what am I doing wrong?

Apr 24, 2020
Hello, Im trying to port forward some ports for games. The thing is that I port forward them in the router, add exception to firewall and all that and still port checkers online say its closed.
btw the game is open while checking the port, in the router im using the ip I see in ipconfig (the ipv4 one)
thanks in advance
-Dr.Raz

Solution
Turned off the firewall, and tried again, nothing so far.
I set them to public so, im going to se to those to "home"

I port forwarded both ip's to make sure lol at that page it says something like 181.164 and on ipconfig its 192.168

A weird thing is that some games that uses those ports work and some don't, maybe the games that dont have some kind of problem and it has nothing to do with my port forwarding

thanks both for the help!
whatsmyip.com and your routers WAN IP need to both be the 181 address, If your WAN IP in your router is showing 192 you do not have a public IP address and portforwarding would take assistance from your ISP. (192.168 is private address)
Hello, Im trying to port forward some ports for games. The thing is that I port forward them in the router, add exception to firewall and all that and still port checkers online say its closed.
btw the game is open while checking the port, in the router im using the ip I see in ipconfig (the ipv4 one)
thanks in advance
-Dr.Raz

I would try turning the windows firewall off completely and try again (sometimes the exceptions can be tricky to get working). Also do you run any anti virus or security software other than windows firewall as you may need to add exceptions to those as well.

Final thought is that the windows firewall exceptions are dependent on the type of network you are connected to (which it asks when you connect)- typically firewall exceptions need the connection type to be set to Home rather than Public (it can sometimes get reverted to public network type if the connection gets reset).

Apr 24, 2020
I would try turning the windows firewall off completely and try again (sometimes the exceptions can be tricky to get working). Also do you run any anti virus or security software other than windows firewall as you may need to add exceptions to those as well.

Final thought is that the windows firewall exceptions are dependent on the type of network you are connected to (which it asks when you connect)- typically firewall exceptions need the connection type to be set to Home rather than Public (it can sometimes get reverted to public network type if the connection gets reset).

What are the first 2 octets of your Public IP address? (xxx.xxx) Use a site like whatsmyip.com, is this the same as your WAN IP shown in your router?
I port forwarded both ip's to make sure lol at that page it says something like 181.164 and on ipconfig its 192.168

A weird thing is that some games that uses those ports work and some don't, maybe the games that dont have some kind of problem and it has nothing to do with my port forwarding

whatsmyip.com and your routers WAN IP need to both be the 181 address, If your WAN IP in your router is showing 192 you do not have a public IP address and portforwarding would take assistance from your ISP. (192.168 is private address)

Solution