Portable Performance: Four USB 3.0 Enclosures For Your 2.5” Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]TomD_1[/nom]So basically, they all have identical hardware, and IMO all look ugly[/citation]

You forgot to mention they all fit in a shirt pocket. That is the most important part.

[citation][nom]thejerk[/nom]Scraping the bottom of the barrel for non-iPad news?[/citation]

Um.... few things,

1. They haven't been just covering the ipad. They been covering alot of other things.

2. This isn't news. This is a review. Learn the difference.

G

Good... so I can share my pirated movies more faster?( sarcasm )

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
What's the performance like if you use it with a hard drive? Just same as usb 2.0 I'd imagine? Odd that they're only hitting 35MB/sec with USB 2.0. It should go 60MB/sec. Why is this only half the speed?

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Hey great review... will be nice when I actually get a usb3 mobo or card... transferring 1.03TB of data over usb2.0 is just a total PAIN in the backside. I should have just opened the case and plugged the drive directly into the pc I know but I didnt and I had to wait about a DAY because of my laziness. Now with usb3 that wont be an issue and its good to see that at least someone is benchmarking external enclosures. Granted I do have to agree with the sentiment that you guys must be bored or out of stuff to review if youre reviewing external enclosures lol. But thanks all the same.

[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]What's the performance like if you use it with a hard drive? Just same as usb 2.0 I'd imagine? Odd that they're only hitting 35MB/sec with USB 2.0. It should go 60MB/sec. Why is this only half the speed?[/citation]

USB 2.0 always tops out at 30-35MB/s because of the overhead. Thomas was wrong in saying they can reach 60MB/s.

mark0718

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
How do the they know that the external boxes and not the motherboard side is the limiting factor?

Actually, is one side or the other by itself the limit. Perhaps there
is a transaction overhead that is the some of both sides' response time,
rather than a turn-around time that would be limited by the slower side.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
why the hell design a plug that consists of two parts????

To maintain compatibility with USB 2.0 cables and plugs. Buy one of these enclosures, plug in a standard USB 2.0 cable, and connect it to your laptop. Plug in the 3.0 cable and connect it to your desktop.

Yep, So true. If there wasn't as large of a overhead, maybe HDD, SSD, Flash drives could run at a moderately comfortable 45-50MB/s on usb 2.0.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]Um.... few things,1. They haven't been just covering the ipad. They been covering alot of other things.2. This isn't news. This is a review. Learn the difference.[/citation]

I have a review of your mom: She's awesome.

G

"We have no idea why a clear plastic sheet runs through the Kingwin ATK-25U3-BK interior"

Keeps drive PCB from possibly touching the metal enclosure and shorting out. There are some scenarios which could lead to this: the bottom of the enclosure being pushed in or the drive not having bottom screw holes.

G

"We did criticize the 195 MB/s limit of the ASM1051 bridge used by all four devices".
Actually I did hit over 250 MB/s on ASM1051 bridge in the lab with IntelSSD, with an "optimized" driver. MS inbox usbstor.sys is not efficient, but good in compatibilty.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]linjiabang[/nom]"We did criticize the 195 MB/s limit of the ASM1051 bridge used by all four devices".Actually I did hit over 250 MB/s on ASM1051 bridge in the lab with IntelSSD, with an "optimized" driver. MS inbox usbstor.sys is not efficient, but good in compatibilty.[/citation]

That's awesome! Manufacturers should start distributing that driver! At the speed you've hit, you're getting close to the real limits of the OTHER side of the ASM1051, it's 3Gb/s SATA interface.

LsRamAir

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
New macbooks lookin worse and worse... I use my USB3 for everything now, would hate to be stuck back with usb2 or 1394b.

Status
Not open for further replies.