Portable Performance: Four USB 3.0 Enclosures For Your 2.5” Drive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've run ATTO Disk Benchmark tool and have seen speeds approach 250MB/s when writing/reading. My issues have been more with W7 disconnects/reconnects. Im now running W8 and the dissconnects are rare, but this is only day 2...

I formatted my drive with 64k allocation units as this will hold SQL Server databases and that is an optimization for SQL.

dizzy_davidh

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]You forgot to mention they all fit in a shirt pocket. That is the most important part.[/citation]

Is that a regular sized shirt pocket or a 'Sony-sized' shirt pocket...?

Akio Morita - co-founder of Sony Corporation (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akio_Morita)

"...since the radio was slightly too big to fit in a shirt pocket, Morita made his employees wear shirts with slightly larger pockets to give the radio a "pocket sized" appearance

Sony... Blatantly engaging in false advertising from their very first product - Japan must be so proud!

sarangiman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
Thank you for this article. However, is there an update for newer enclosures as of fall 2013? There's so much variability in speeds of different enclosures with the same drive (e.g. read my review here: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1ZD7X6XFODRSW/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm).

Interestingly, with the SIIG SATA 6Gb/s to USB 3.0 enclosure (JU-SA0H11-S1), I still max out at 250MB/s read speeds with my Intel 330 SSD. It's supposed to have the ASMedia 1051e chipset, specifically capable of 6Gb/s (over the 3Gb/s limit of the 1051 chipset). The same drive gives me 400MB/s in the Newer Technology Voyager S3 (which also uses the 1051e chipset). So it seems it's not just the chipset that matters, as both the SIIG & Voyager S3 use the 1051e chipset. What other optimizations are at play here? (I'm running the drives on a rMBP).

Anyway, would love an updated roundup of SATA-USB 3.0 enclosures for fast SSDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.