[SOLVED] Portable SSD Drive -- Will it speed up some slow programs?

decijp

Honorable
Feb 10, 2016
I have Windows 7 with 32 gigs of ram and and an I7 processor. My Word 2010 runs slowly under intensive use as well as Libre Writer. Also have a PDF editing program called PDF element that runs slowly when I try to save large documents (400 pages) to Word or another word processor. If Libre Writer (Or Open Office Writer) will run faster on my Samsung SSD T5 portable, I would like to use it that way. So far, when I try to download Libre Writer (even portable version) to SSD, it seems to just migrate to my Win 7 professional hard drive. Is it possible to speed up Libre and PDF element with a portable hard drive? And, if so, how do I do it. I do have USB 3 connections. Thanks for any help that can be given.

Solution
One generally does not leave the OS on a spinning drive, install an SSD, and move a pair of apps or so on the SSD thinking a 'great speed up' of those apps will happen....; PC will still be slow as long as OS is on the spinning drive.

Migrate the entire drive's contents (your OS with all of your apps) to the SSD...

Easy to do with Macrium Reflect, or Acronis True Image (if you have any sort of WD external drive, you can use the free version of Acronis, even if not a source/destination in the re-imaging process)

Then you will get your desired 'speedup'...big time! (15 second boot times vs. 60-75 seconds, etc.)

As yours is a portable/external, I'd swap it for a conventional 2.5", and proceed with a migration. (Massive difference!)...

decijp

Honorable
Feb 10, 2016
I think that even if you run the programs from the SSD your OS is still on an HDD and I think that will slow you down. I would advise replacing the HDD with an SSD, then everything will run at SSD speeds.
Everything is fairly good on my computer other than these 2 programs. Only point of SSD is to speed them up. If that can't be done, I will return the SSD. -- Not worth it to re-install all of my programs on my computer.

One generally does not leave the OS on a spinning drive, install an SSD, and move a pair of apps or so on the SSD thinking a 'great speed up' of those apps will happen....; PC will still be slow as long as OS is on the spinning drive.

Migrate the entire drive's contents (your OS with all of your apps) to the SSD...

Easy to do with Macrium Reflect, or Acronis True Image (if you have any sort of WD external drive, you can use the free version of Acronis, even if not a source/destination in the re-imaging process)

Then you will get your desired 'speedup'...big time! (15 second boot times vs. 60-75 seconds, etc.)

As yours is a portable/external, I'd swap it for a conventional 2.5", and proceed with a migration. (Massive difference!)

Crucial's excellent MX500 is downright cheap in 500 GB/ 1 TB varieties these days, at $67/104, respecitively!

Last edited:
Solution