Portal 2 Played on Intel HD With Motion Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Just trying to help, you may want to consider revising this sentence in the 2nd paragraph.

"It won't take erase the need for a dedicated GPU just yet, but it's got some 3D muscle."

Also, thats pretty interesting how the game is running on Intel HD.

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
This is the equiv of 2010 GMA which is just a low end integrated graphics solution. Wow Intel. New GMA. Woo hoo. Now you're not 1000x slower than a Radeon, you're only 900x slower.

G

darkchazz, no way you can determine the frame rate over YouTube video. I bet the video is no more than 30fps.

woshitudou, see the benchmarks. The GPU is faster than entry level Radeons, and don't forget that you get it for free (if you buy the CPU).

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
yeah shoppy and the valve engine is the 2and best engine iwe ewer tryed,only bested by the first quake engines. that pc has to be such a low performer. my comp 7 years ago culd handle vale on hig and i had a 3ghz single core 1gig ram and 1950xt radeon and i newer whent under 55fps so this laptop is super low performense. and beside if you like to show of a new technology dont bring in some on ho cant use it did you see the aiming problems he had whit the dual stick its not good advertising, you pay some nerd to play whit em for 2 month to show whot you will newer come close to to give you the seens you get a edge whit the dual controler.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
hehe noticed now that he might be good whit the controler, but you can clearly see a delay of about a sec or two for the controlers to respond, btw why is it hard to read out fps from this video you got a smal laptop plays smoth in the bottom but the one he is playing on is clearly shoppy like crap,

Anthelvar

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
wow, portal 2. When did valves engine come out. 2003-4 I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. So Intel graphics have finally caught up to 2004 levels. Lets all praise them for keeping there noses to the grind stone and getting that cutting edge graphics to us.

Anthelvar

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
they used a slow controller because the frame rates are so bad. You don't notice it so much with a controller, but a mouse would make is look really choppy.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Anthelvar[/nom]they used a slow controller because the frame rates are so bad. You don't notice it so much with a controller, but a mouse would make is look really choppy.[/citation]

Bingo. To get the same range and speed of movement he would have to seriously menace any people or potted plants nearby.

Notice how the frame rate of the laptop in the shot is much better...

squanto

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
First things first: Portal 2 looks like an amazing game, nod towards Valve for refusing to put out bad games.

Second: Not great frames but then again I am perfectly happy not using a CPU for my GPU. Plus the controller might be jittery too

jamoise

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Im actually a little surprised its actually not to bad a framerate for an onboard if its playing it at 1920x1280 for the big screen, the laptop down below, could possibly be running at a lower resolution, though, they also don't mention if the laptop is running intel hd or not, obviously the large display is not connected to the same system as the laptop, so, theres no way to know if the laptop is also running intel HD (I would assume so, but you never know) too much unknown to make a comparison, so ill just reserve my opinion until I know more facts.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Not very impressive.
Nvidia's 1 year old GeForce 320m (I think their last integrated graphics chip before Intel kicked them out of the chipset business) can play TF2 @low details @1920x1080 at playable fps (30-50fps).

One thing for sure, Intel cannot make GPU's or, i think they are called, APUs for crap. I have an old laptop true, like 3 years, it runs a X4500 I think, runs CSS Barely and TF2 not even on the lowest. Well now I have a 5850 and that's a huge difference, but anyways back on topic, I think I would rather see Fuzion's potential. Seems that it could be actually a lot better than Intel's GPU/APUs, whatever they are called.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Half Life II was released on Nov 16th 2004 and from that point the source engine has been upgraded (and still is)

This is a quote from Wikipedia:

"High dynamic range rendering (2005, Day of Defeat: Source)
Simulation of a camera aperture and the ability to fake the effects of brightness values beyond computer monitors' actual range. Required all of the game's shaders to be rewritten.[14]
Soft particles (2007, Orange Box)
An artist-driven, multiprocessor-optimized particle system. Unlike most such systems, particles are not 'clipped' by 3D geometry.[15]
Hardware facial animation (2007, Orange Box)
Hardware accelerated on modern video cards for "feature film and broadcast television" quality.[5]
Multiprocessor support (2007, Orange Box)
A large code refactoring allowed the Source engine to take advantage of multiple CPU cores on the PC, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.[16] On the PC, support was experimental and unstable[17] until the release of Left 4 Dead.[18] Multiprocessor support was later backported to Team Fortress 2 and Day of Defeat Source.[19]
Xbox 360 support (2007, Orange Box)
Valve created the Xbox 360 release of The Orange Box in-house, and support for the console, unlike support for the PlayStation 3, is fully integrated into the main engine codeline. It includes asset converters, cross-platform play and Xbox Live integration.[20] Program code can be ported from PC to Xbox 360 simply by recompiling it.[21]
Mac OS X support (2010)
Starting in April 2010, Valve has announced the availability of OpenGL rendered Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Portal, Day of Defeat: Source, and the Half-Life series on Mac OS X. All future Valve games will be released simultaneously for Windows and Mac.[22][23] Games will only use Direct3D on Windows, and only OpenGL on the other platforms.
Valve has stated an intent to move Left 4 Dead's AI Director technology into the engine proper,[24] but there is no evidence that this has yet taken place.
In 2009, Left 4 Dead 2 introduced support for Squirrel scripts to be executed in maps.[25] It exists to automate changes to the behavior of existing C++ objects, but cannot extend the game's compiled code."

Most of you (so far) missed a simple point. The game that was run on this laptop, is Portal 2. This title was built upon a version of the source engine which is up to date (all the features from 2004 and up until 2011 are incorporated into this titles source engine).

Not only is the source engine more optimized on this title (compared to the first release of which Half Life 2 was bassed upon, in 2004) but it also incorporates many new features. And to see it running this good on an Intel GPU is, frankly, a good surprise.

You can bash Intel all you like, but they've done some progress on the new chip. Still not on par with the available integrated nvidia / AMD gpu solutions, but it's some progress for intel into the right direction.

NOTE:In 2004 Half Life 2 had support for Direct X 7, Direct X 8 and Direct X 9.0a (I maybe wrong here). So progress was done, as Direct X 7 is no longer supported in the new source engine (correct me if I'm wrong).

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]woshitudou[/nom]This is the equiv of 2010 GMA which is just a low end integrated graphics solution. Wow Intel. New GMA. Woo hoo. Now you're not 1000x slower than a Radeon, you're only 900x slower.[/citation]

COrrect me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Sandy Bridge CPUs with full GPU capabilities (all GPU cores) get like 5,000 in 3dmark 06? That is pretty good

oasiz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Hah, anybody else notice the new weapon/tool? :)

The old physics gun used in the HL2 2003 E3 demonstration makes a comeback in portal2 !
Just google hl2 beta physgun and you should see how it works.

Basically a beam that you can extend and retract This enables you to push grabbed objects further while you have them grabbed with your "gravity gun". Should allow some freaky puzzles.

Status
Not open for further replies.