ports crash during a game?

XP-home/ SP2
Linksys WRT54G
4 computers on network- 1 is wireless laptop
cable modem(comcast)
2400cpu AMD
Ports are triggered to MSN zone to my masked IP
Ports are UDP/TCP forwarded to my mask IP

problem--- something during games is crashing my ports... my game crashes
with everyone disconnecting from me, which turns out i disconnect from them,
so its not a game crash its a disconnection to the game, which i know isn't
an interruption on ISP cause my zone lobby stays open and connected. But i
usually have more then one lobby open as its easier to find games that way
and they will crash most the time when this happens but one room, also winamp
i have playing in backround losses connection to the internet radio station.

I've read that all should have direct X 9.c to avoid problems, but how can
you police that.

I've also read SP2 should be on all the puters your connected with to avoid
problems, but i can't police that either.

I've tried to disable as much of the xp firewall as possible but its kind of
confusing how to individually open apps and ports, even though i have it
turned off theres still a bunch of things to configure on it.

So my question is-- whats causing me to disconnect from games mid game after
playing? Ive configured the roughter and tcp/ip ports open as much as
possible and tried to disable xp firewall as much as possible but its still
doing it.

Is there something i can do? Or is this problems with others having old
directX's not being updated and not having XP/SP2? Thats assuming everyone
runs XP?

Is there problems with porple running non microsoft O/S thats causing this?

I'm really confused......I have no idea if this will happen with other games
cause i've only been playing AoK C expansion

And if i needed to trigger the ports open to the game app? Whats the game
app called? i've looked in the remove/install programs and this game has a
very long name. does the game need to be triggered and not the zone or both?

hope someone can give me some ideas. cause this is happening a lot. tons of
poeple crash from games... this is so annoying.

skitszo wrote:
> XP-home/ SP2
> Linksys WRT54G
> 4 computers on network- 1 is wireless laptop
> cable modem(comcast)
> 2400cpu AMD
> Ports are triggered to MSN zone to my masked IP
> Ports are UDP/TCP forwarded to my mask IP
>

> problem--- something during games is crashing my ports... my game crashes
> with everyone disconnecting from me, which turns out i disconnect from them,
> so its not a game crash its a disconnection to the game, which i know isn't
> an interruption on ISP cause my zone lobby stays open and connected. But i
> usually have more then one lobby open as its easier to find games that way
> and they will crash most the time when this happens but one room, also winamp
> i have playing in backround losses connection to the internet radio station.
>
> I've read that all should have direct X 9.c to avoid problems, but how can
> you police that.
>
> I've also read SP2 should be on all the puters your connected with to avoid
> problems, but i can't police that either.
>
> I've tried to disable as much of the xp firewall as possible but its kind of
> confusing how to individually open apps and ports, even though i have it
> turned off theres still a bunch of things to configure on it.
>
> So my question is-- whats causing me to disconnect from games mid game after
> playing? Ive configured the roughter and tcp/ip ports open as much as
> possible and tried to disable xp firewall as much as possible but its still
> doing it.
>
> Is there something i can do? Or is this problems with others having old
> directX's not being updated and not having XP/SP2? Thats assuming everyone
> runs XP?
>
> Is there problems with porple running non microsoft O/S thats causing this?
>
> I'm really confused......I have no idea if this will happen with other games
> cause i've only been playing AoK C expansion
>
> And if i needed to trigger the ports open to the game app? Whats the game
> app called? i've looked in the remove/install programs and this game has a
> very long name. does the game need to be triggered and not the zone or both?
>
> hope someone can give me some ideas. cause this is happening a lot. tons of
> poeple crash from games... this is so annoying.

I've read of a buffer overflow.. You're getting pings, ads, and chat
and sometimes that's just too much for a device to handle. Two things
you can try:

- Lower the data encryption from 128 bit to 32 bit.

- Get updated drivers for NIC, ethernet cards, or router; whatever is
available. I'm not sure where the problem lies, nor that this is the
cause..

--
+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address from "invalid" to
"com" if you want to email me.

I'm not sure what needs to be encrypted but i have firewall turned off and
IE description says encryption connection is turned off not encrypted.

i've got the latest Nvidia driver march 2005, far as i know that should
cover all the graphics...not sure whether it covers the network card. i've
unistalled that and let it auto find the driver........the roughter not sure
what its firmware is, but its been bought with in the last month or two.
fairly new.

buffer........humm......which buffer.....on my computer? the roughter?
modem?

skitszo wrote:
> I'm not sure what needs to be encrypted but i have firewall turned off and
> IE description says encryption connection is turned off not encrypted.
>

> i've got the latest Nvidia driver march 2005, far as i know that should
> cover all the graphics...not sure whether it covers the network card. i've
> unistalled that and let it auto find the driver........the router not sure
> what its firmware is, but its been bought with in the last month or two.
> fairly new.

> buffer........humm......which buffer.....on my computer? the router?
> modem?

Duddo.. As I remember, it was a buffer in the cable modem or router. A
firmware update, or other brand was the solution, in the couple of
instances I read about.

Go to the Device Manager for the NIC, or whatever devices show, look at
the Properties, and see if there's an encryption setting of 128. If so,
lower it to 32. That might help, but mt NIC doesn't even have a setting
like that. The DSL modem isn't adjustable.

--
+Elmo_Tech

+Elmo_Tech wrote:
> skitszo wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what needs to be encrypted but i have firewall turned
>> off and IE description says encryption connection is turned off not
>> encrypted.
>>

>> i've got the latest Nvidia driver march 2005, far as i know that
>> should cover all the graphics...not sure whether it covers the network
>> card. i've unistalled that and let it auto find the driver........the
>> router not sure what its firmware is, but its been bought with in the
>> last month or two. fairly new.
>

>> buffer........humm......which buffer.....on my computer? the router?
>> modem?
>

> Duddo..

That's "Dunno".

As I remember, it was a buffer in the cable modem or router. A
> firmware update, or other brand was the solution, in the couple of
> instances I read about.
>
> Go to the Device Manager for the NIC, or whatever devices show, look at
> the Properties, and see if there's an encryption setting of 128. If so,
> lower it to 32. That might help, but mt NIC doesn't even have a setting
> like that. The DSL modem isn't adjustable.

--
+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address from "invalid" to
"com" if you want to email me.

well....... i put the latest firmware on the wireless roughter. no help.

the cable modems been replaced........no help.

the network card doesn't have a 128 bit encryption in any settings to adjust.

the network drivers have no encryption adjustments.

this neve4r happens with anything other then playing games on the zone?

i read playing games with poeple with non directX9.c causes problems and
playing with poeple without XP service pack 2.........honestly........i've
never had this problem........this is totally screw balled........

I'd DMZ my computer and forget port triggering and forwarding, but for some
reason that don't even work. it disconnects me from the net. 8P

any other idea's

skitszo wrote:
> well....... i put the latest firmware on the wireless roughter. no help.
>
> the cable modems been replaced........no help.
>
> the network card doesn't have a 128 bit encryption in any settings to adjust.
>
> the network drivers have no encryption adjustments.
>

> this neve4r happens with anything other then playing games on the zone?
>
> i read playing games with poeple with non directX9.c causes problems and
> playing with poeple without XP service pack 2.........honestly........i've
> never had this problem........this is totally screw balled........
>
> I'd DMZ my computer and forget port triggering and forwarding, but for some
> reason that don't even work. it disconnects me from the net. 8P
>

> any other idea's

I don't know that DMZ would help, but here's a Google search on the
procedure.. sorry I don't have any better ideas.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22set+up+dmz%22&btnG=Google+Search

--
+Elmo_Tech