Possibility of android upgrade

Solution

And I'm in computing science. I actually deal with stuff like OS design and programming, and I am telling you, that unless someone has produced a version with the appropriate firmware included, which is not trivial, you cannot just blindly flash one over another. Doing so actually comes with a major risk of turning it into a paperweight, because...

What device, first of all?
That's going to have a lot of bearing on what you can do with it, and you should be in the habit of posting such information when requesting help.

IF, emphasis IF, your device has custom ROM's made for it, then you can probably upgrade it quite a bit in terms of Android version. Note, however, that this will often disable functionality in sensitive apps such as payment apps or online banking applications due to the security risks it presents.

In reality, these are basically non-existent, but they don't want to get caught footing a bill if someone did make a malicious rom.

Anyhow, tell me what device you have, and I need you to be very specific. I need an EXACT MODEL NUMBER to be able to assist you with this. It can be found in your box, or typically in the interior/backside of the phone, depending on its design.

This process is known as rooting - but you must have people who've been able/kind enough to make Android roms for your device. Provided all the ducks fall in line, it's actually very easy to do yourself with minimal risk. I've been doing it for years - all you need is a computer and your charging cable. Plus some software, but it's free, legal, and widely available.

As an example, I have a Nexus 4. It got cut off officially on Android 5. It is running a custom ROM with Android 8.1, however, because hardware was accessible (it's a unique part of the google devices - they're built to be modded this way) with proper source code, and the platform was relatively unedited vs. the stock stream of Android.

If you have a device that is highly popular from a large manufacturer, there is a good chance you too could load a new ROM and in effect upgrade the version of Android you are running.

Of course, I ask this assuming you did the obvious and went to Settings->About Phone->Check for Updates (or a similar vector offered by your model) to see if the manufacturer has updated the device.

I'll have to look a little more closely before making suggestions, but it seems there's an XDA-Developer's forum for your device with some roms listed - Looks like they get up to about Android 7.1.

Note however that these are independent work and so may not necessarily be 100% stable. I'll see if I can find some of the other stuff you'd need and you can give it a try.

Edit: I might have jumped the gun a little. Unfortunately, XDA often groups up roms by device model series, not exclusive models. It would seem that the highest custom ROM available for your model that is stable and working is Android 4.4.

My honest suggestion would be go here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/lenovo-a3000

Make an account and post asking about updating. The folks at XDA are really good and should be able to guide you through rooting the device. The process is not hard, but it is messing around with key components of your device and if you are careless you could turn it into a paperweight. Follow this guide at your own risk. Make absolutely certain you are using stuff designed for your SPECIFIC MODEL of tablet. Close isn't good enough, it has to match. It basically comes down to the following steps:

ALWAYS MAKE A DATA BACKUP FIRST.

1. Go into Settings -> About Device -> Tap on ... Build number (you can kind of just test it, but I think it's build #) 7x. You should get a toast saying that you're about to enable developer mode. Continue until you do.

2. Go back into settings root. Settings -> Developer Options -> Enable USB Debugging

3. Download "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" (google it) and install. I would suggest adding the folder to your path variable.

4. Download a custom recovery (I would recommend TWRP) available via XDA. Someone will link you if you ask, and I think I saw one.

5. Download a custom ROM. Cyanogenmod is a big name with a good reputation. I'd suggest them if you can find it. You'll want to ask what's available - keep in mind that you need to ask and receive positive validation that it will work for your SPECIFIC MODEL #. While the devices share a serieis, they may have different hardware or small differences, and that's no good if you're trying this.

6. Check that you have an adb connection with the device. Hook it up to your computer, open adb.exe and type "Adb devices"
You should either see something listed, or get a prompt on your device screen to enable connections from that computer. Make sure your USB setting is set to MTP, not charge only.

7. If you get such a connection and allow it, type: "adb.exe reboot bootloader" and the device should restart into a minimalistic dos-like menu.
8. Type "fastboot oem unlock" (unlock the bootloader - you may need to use another method to do this. Follow the XDA guides over what I've typed here)

9. Note: this will erase your data I believe, so ensure you've got that backup made before this point.

10. Type "fastboot flash recovery <recovery image file you downloaded. Should have an extension of .img"
11. DO NOT DISCONNECT YOUR DEVICE. MAKE SURE YOUR POWER AND CABLE IS RELIABLE BEFORE THIS POINT.

12. Power the device on using the button combination to get into recovery mode (or do the adb trick I mentioned earlier once the device has turned on normally, but type "recovery" instead of bootloader)

12. Once you have a custom recovery installed and booting, make a TWRP backup. See XDA for instructions on how to do that. Google probably will as well. It's not hard.

Excellent. Now, follow the root guide that is on XDA. Basically, you should put the rom zip on your device, and then go "install from zip" in the TWRP menu. If all goes well, it may take some time to boot (the first time) but eventually you should come to a setup screen. Follow that per usual, and enjoy using the unit on the new OS.

It's worth noting that a lot of stuff in newer Android versions is basically taken from FOSS community projects like Cyanogenmod.

But yea - XDA is really the place to ask about this.

A "technician" will follow the same guide, he/she might just have more experience doing that. But there's always a chance that after all that, you'll finish with a nice-looking brick.

What makes you upgrade from 4 to 5? If it is "just because" - enjoy your tabled until its good, and its battery holds charge, then upgrade to a mewer one.

A tech can't. If software is not available, it's not going to magically appear, and the process I outlined is the same thing they'd do anyway.

Did you do what I said to do and ask over at XDA, or are you not going to do any footwork?

If you can find a compatible rom (as simple as asking at the link I gave) then the process to install it is not that hard.

They're basically the authority as far as this sort of thing goes. You can try looking around, but make sure the models match. Totally.

With that said, my cursory glance I took only suggests there was maybe one compatible offering, and I think it capped out at 4.4 kitkat. Sadly most of those roms seem to be made for other units in the series, not the specific model you have, and I didn't get the impression they were mutually interchangeable.

You may be out of luck. Worth noting if a tab isn't a huge thing for you, sites like Banggood.com or Gearbest or whatever often have competent tabs at very low prices. I wouldn't opt for them as daily drivers though, and make sure you google reviews. Teclast, Onda, Xiaomi, and Ainol Novo seem to be decent.

If you screw up or the software isn't stable, that is a risk you take. Always make a backup before doing this, and make sure you have a way of restoring the device if you should mess up. Some screw ups are actually irredeemable, and cannot be fixed. Anyhow, if your friend has the same device as you do, ask him where he found the ROM to do so. If he doesn't, then you haven't been reading what I've said very clearly, because I told you it is all model specific.

Here are the facts as they stand:
1. Lenovo has never released an official update getting anywhere close to the version of Android you want
2. Therefore, if you want any hope of this, you have to do the unofficial process.
3. There are no offerings that work this way for your device that I am able to find. As I said, it is device specific.
4. Therefore, you cannot update your device beyond what it has already been updated to. Full stop, flat out, it's not possible unless in the future someone takes an interest in it and writes new software, which is unlikely.

You can't just do this willy-nilly, because you can literally turn it into a paperweight if you take that attitude.

I've told you what I've found. For all intents and purposes, you should consider the summary answer here to be: Your device does not have compatible third-party versions of Android available ("custom roms") and therefore simply cannot be upgraded beyond what the manufacturer supports. The manufacturer does not support anything higher than the version you currently have loaded, and therefore, you cannot update your tablet to a higher version, let alone Android 5.1.

If you want newer Android versions, you will have to purchase a new device that is loaded with or compatible with them.

And to stress:
When I say impossible, I mean it. nobody can do this for you. Not yourself, not a technician, not Bill Gates, nobody, until someone goes through the trouble of making the necessary software - and given it's an old tablet, that is very, very unlikely, and not presently the situation.

omar80747326

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017
In someway, it's possible to upgrade android almost on all devices by many technician, my cousin who's studying mechanics engineering at the university, knows much information about software and systems. says: similar devices like samsung galaxy tab 10.1 tablets or others can be upgraded easily by most technicians, just, removing the old android completely and then installing a new one.

And I'm in computing science. I actually deal with stuff like OS design and programming, and I am telling you, that unless someone has produced a version with the appropriate firmware included, which is not trivial, you cannot just blindly flash one over another. Doing so actually comes with a major risk of turning it into a paperweight, because the kernel. The way you're describing this shows you do not understand what goes into it, and I guarantee the people telling you this don't either.

It is not possible to do this on many a device. You have to have key components like the firmware and kernel available, and they have to be compatible versions of the kernels. Then there's issues like proprietary code for things such as cameras, which usually require shims to be coded to try and adapt between the OS and the old proprietary code.

When I say impossible, I am speaking for the present. This is because the critical ingredient in all of this is a custom ROM. If people are not around who want to make the necessary changes to adapt things to new devices, there is nothing to load that will boot and work. If say you put in the work to learn, maybe you could eventually program a ROM to work - but technicians do not do this work, programmers and developers do. Maybe, somewhere out on the dark reaches of the internet, there is a ROM at this version for your device - but I couldn't find one, and I'm pretty darn good at it. Without this, nobody is going to be able to do anything for you - full stop.

You cannot just take Android and shove a new one over top of it. There are lots of minor components that have to be coded or modified to work - sometimes you can hack it together from similar devices, but it's literally not possible beyond that.

The reason Samsungs are able to do this is because they're popular - and so people make these custom ROMs for them. Your Lenovo, by comparison, is not. People have not taken the interest in it to make these third party versions of Android or move it up to future versions. The Samsung is also radically different from your Lenovo. It is not using: The same radios, the same processor, etc. etc. If you tried taking something from Samsung without major modification and putting it on your Lenovo, your lenovo would simply stop working at all.

If you're referring to software updates.... any fool can do those. Provided the manufacturer has released them. These are not simple software updates, as Lenovo has only made them up to 4.3, from what I was able to find. Either way, if they had made them further, you could simply go to settings and select about and software update for the same effect.

But whatever, if you won't believe me telling you the truth, then give it a try. Anyone promising you anything more than I have is lying or is going to brick your device. I can't make you believe the reality of the situation, so best of luck and I just hope nobody does something that ends up rendering your device completely inoperable. There does not appear to be any options for you at present. Maybe in the future, but usually age is not an ally for this sort of thing.

Solution