Possible Adware?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Hi,

I don't remember downloading anything (and honestly I'm pretty computer savvy, so this is really odd), but all of a sudden I am receiving popups when I browse the internet.

My Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Firefox 13.0.1 + Adblocker

What I have done:
Ran Avast Full Scan
Ran Combofix
Ran Malwarebytes

None of these programs have detected anything, but I know that having popups come up all the time isn't normal (not to mention this hasn't ever happened before until recently). If anyone has a clue or suggestion, please let me know! Thank you!

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
They seem to popup whenever they want to, and never have anything to do with the website. Its those kind that have a window popup when you try to close asking if you "really want to close".

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I think cleaning out my temporary files fixed it, I haven't had it happen since. Not to mention Dr. Web said nothing was found. Thanks for your help!

Edit: Uh, spoke too soon. Still getting popups.

Hi :)

Download MALWAREBYTES (its free) and update it then run a full scan in Safe Mode...

All the best Brett :)

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Ran a full scan with this program, but it didn't find anything.

Rahmia

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Does this only happen when you surf? If not, what does the ads say?

If it's only happening when you surf, I would suggest that you update to the latest release of Firefox (14) and grab the following add-ons: NoScript, Adblock Plus, and DNT+

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

It is only when I surf. I have the latest firefox, and also have Adblock Plus installed. I went ahead and ran spybot and it detected 9 adware linked things in my registry, but said it took care of all of them. However, I am still getting popups.

Actually, I guess the correct term would be pop-unders.

Rahmia

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I highly recommend installing NoScript add-on then. You'll have the benefit of being more secure by blocking all scripts from running unless you specifically say its ok, that should take care of them pesky pop-ups.

I run NoScript, AdBlock Plus, and DNT+ (Do Not Track +), between them three add-ons, I haven't seen any ads or pop-ups in several years since I had them installed, I only see what I want to see.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

I've installed DNT+ (which by the way seems to be an AWESOME add-on, thank you!), but will hold on NoScript until I see another popup or problem arise. (It honestly sounds like it would be more hassle than benefit; In my opinion).

Thanks again though, I'm loving DNT+.

Cjsparky

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Install noScript and be done with it...you are spending more time trying to figure out the issue than you would clicking the noScript icon to allow the content...Once a page is deemed OK by you, noScript will always remember...

CJ

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

If the problem is spyware/adware, then I'd prefer to get rid of them problem instead of covering it up. However nothing seems to help, so I might as well just go ahead and do that.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Firefox keeps saying that there is an error why I try to download No Script. Is it compatible with 14.0.1?

Cjsparky

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

You downloading from here???

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/

Works no issues for me. 14.0.1

If it will not install I would be suspicious of malware preventing it.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Alright that worked, thanks. I was attempting to download it from the "Get Add-ons" tab.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

I didn't seem to get ads while using it, but it seemed to block every website and was difficult to get it to allow (not to mention I don't want to allow whatever is causing the ads).

Status
Not open for further replies.