So, to the question:
Specs are:
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-DELUXE
CPU: intel i7-4790
GPU: Gainward Phantom GLH 2080
RAM: 16 Gigs of 1600 MHz RAM
Hard drives: 250 SSD corsair, a couple of 1TB HDD drives
PSU: Corsair AX760 80 platinum

I recently upgraded to the 2080 from my 780 phantom gainward GLH.
I expected a rather heavy increase in FPS around the board, but that just didn't happen.
Besides the fact the 2080 is rather loud (it's far louder than the 780 for similar performance), i'm playing most games on 1080p and yet i'm not getting stable 60fps.
My main example is Sekiro: Shadows die twice, which i'm getting FPS drops around the board even in 1080p.
Dishonored 2 i'm running on max graphics at 1440p and i'm getting FPS drops here and there,
and DOOM i can't consistently run on 60fps on 1080p maxed out.
AC: Odyssey is also problematic, with max graphics being a no-go (25-55 FPS) and medium being barely playable (50-60FPS)
Now, i'm not sure if there's any issues with any of the components stand-alone, yet it feels as if something is wrong.
i'd expect the card to not work as hard as it does, and if it does at least get more juice out of it.
Should i upgrade my Motherboard (consequently my CPU and ram) or just do something that would fix this on this Motherboard? If i were to change a single component what would it be?
I have upgraded my GPU drivers and windows 10 properly, so that's not the issue at hand.
Thank you for your time reading this, any and all feedback will be much appreciated!

Peiguy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
Pretty sure there's going to be a bottleneck with that old of a chip so I would suggest upgrading but I'm also positive that the bottleneck isn't so hard that you're not getting stable FPS in games. Have you downloaded 2080 drivers yet?

May 13, 2019
Thanks for the quick reply!
I have updated my drivers from GeForce experience (2080 ones), after performing a clean install of said utility. (When i bought the new card i uninstalled all the drivers and re-installed them)
I've been considering moving to a i7-9700k but i'm not sure if my motherboard will bottleneck it (since it doesn't support the Ryzen 2700x).
TBH i was planning on spending more money, but i'm not sure where to spend it.

May 13, 2019
Thank you all for your quick replies!
You've been extremely helpful, and i'm pretty positive i know in what direction to go now.
I'll go for the Z390 since i read reviews and it's been widely accepted as the best mid-tier card, that won't bottleneck any decent CPU/GPU.
Now, as a final part of the thread, and just for the sake of making sure: Z390 won't bottleneck i7-9700k and 2080, correct?
While my budget will allow for both those upgrades i'd rather wait for the i7-9700k till next month.
Also, do you guys have any DDR4 sticks to suggest? I'm willing to spend up to 100-120$ on them, but anything bellow works as well.

May 13, 2019
I meant that it will support these parts with no issues, "bottleneck" was the wrong terminology i suppose.
Well, i got the answer for the first part, so unless there are replies in regards to the DDR4 ram sticks i'll be locking down the thread
Again, thanks a ton!

Peiguy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019