Possible Core i3, i5, i7 Prices Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
the processor prices are not the problem, getting an i7 920 D0 for $200 at microcenter has been around for months. It is the motherboard prices that have people interested. P55 in particular

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but under cores/threads... i am assuming like for the core i3 530, it says 2/4 ... so this would be 2 physical cores then 2 hyper-threaded cores?

The i3 530 and 540 are not bad prices... i will admit i've always bought AMD... but if my question above is correct, then essentially we are seeing a "quad" core for 120 bucks.. Phenom2 x2's and the Athlon2 x2's are going to be put on the spot by these guys....hard.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Interesting, I thought the 2.66GHz Lynfield chip was going to release with 8 threads, and have i7 branding.. but perhaps Intel didn't want to cannibalize i7 920 sales with a similar performing cheaper chip. I guess this forces me into selecting a Core i7-860 if these numbers are accurate.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Bleh, nevermind. My memory was just bad... I dug up Anand's article again, and I just had it wrong. Anand had simply run some benches at 2.66GHz HT Enabled with a test sample, and I forgot the 2.66GHz chip would NOT come w/ HT.

I'm still excited about how the i7-860 setups will compare to i7-920 machines... and if the i7-920 will be released with a more aggressive turbo stepping.

[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]the processor prices are not the problem, getting an i7 920 D0 for $200 at microcenter has been around for months. It is the motherboard prices that have people interested. P55 in particular[/citation]
Agreed. Even DDR3 RAM prices have dropped significantly, but X58 boards haven't dropped much.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Oh crap not another socket, 1156. My Q9650 and GTX 285 has plenty of years of gaming left in it. This is especially true since of late game developers have been porting their games from the kiddie consoles instead of setting new PC standards. Crysis 2 will be less taxing than the first one was. Look at the new Wolfenstein game to be released in a week or so.
Maybe Carmack's Tech 5 engine and Doom 4 (Yes id has said there is a Doom 4 that will be made) will give us PC gamers some new standards.
I am looking forward to Dragon Age from Bioware, EA Games can still kiss my arse.

I'll wait until Intel releases 8 cores. The I'll get DDR 3 or whatever the new RAM is at the time and of course I'll need a new MB.... That is.. unless AMD pulls out a CPU that is more impressive. OR so cheap I can't refuse. But they way they've been lately... I doubt it.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
BTW, is it me or does it feel like that Intel is trying to give AMD breathing room in the below $200/190 market and especially in the sub-$120 market. Intel is not competing with AMD’s PII X3/X2 and Athlon II X2s.

I think Intel is trying to keep AMD limping along just so there is another player in the market.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]I'll wait until Intel releases 8 cores. The I'll get DDR 3 or whatever the new RAM is at the time and of course I'll need a new MB....[/citation]
i9 is going to be 32nm 6 cores with 12mb L3 cache and supports X58 LGA1366 boards. Rumored release date is Q1 2010.

I suppose i9 is finally going to be twice as fast as my Q6600; the minimum requirement for me to upgrade.

G

Kithzaru: No, it's not like getting a quad, hyperthreading is a big gimmick, it rarely gives more than a 10% performance increase, and sometimes it gives a 10-20% performance decrease. Unfortunately, some under-educated consumers actually fall for it. Hyperthreading has been around for a while, if AMD actually wanted to do it, they could've easily done it by now, but I'm glad they haven't.

toxxel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]the processor prices are not the problem, getting an i7 920 D0 for $200 at microcenter has been around for months. It is the motherboard prices that have people interested. P55 in particular[/citation]
I don't even see microcenter listing the 920.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Man those are expensive....
We'll have to see how AMD responds.

I'm hoping to get an i7-860 or something similar in performance next March for ~$175. I think it's possible :D

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]BTW, is it me or does it feel like that Intel is trying to give AMD breathing room in the below $200/190 market and especially in the sub-$120 market. Intel is not competing with AMD’s PII X3/X2 and Athlon II X2s.I think Intel is trying to keep AMD limping along just so there is another player in the market.[/citation]

Oh course they are... AMD going under is Intel's worst nightmare. The courts would break Intel up into so many pieces if that ever happened, as Intel would then be considered a monopoly. Intel needs AMD to be in the market... and vice-versa, AMD needs Intel as well. Granted, of course AMD wants more market share then they have now, but both these companies need each other.. until a viable third CPU maker come into the market. Then its gloves off ;)

sleepflower

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]i9 is going to be 32nm 6 cores with 12mb L3 cache and supports X58 LGA1366 boards. Rumored release date is Q1 2010.I suppose i9 is finally going to be twice as fast as my Q6600; the minimum requirement for me to upgrade.[/citation]
I am in EXACTLY the same situation. Only upgrade to double the power. Other option is to go for two opteron 6 core chips on one board.

[citation][nom]faux_quad[/nom]Kithzaru: No, it's not like getting a quad, hyperthreading is a big gimmick, it rarely gives more than a 10% performance increase, and sometimes it gives a 10-20% performance decrease. Unfortunately, some under-educated consumers actually fall for it. Hyperthreading has been around for a while, if AMD actually wanted to do it, they could've easily done it by now, but I'm glad they haven't.[/citation]

Actually, the implementation with the i7 basically never gives a performance decrease, and can give up to a 20% boost with basically no increase in TDP or die area. Look at it like a free 20% boost on highly threaded workloads rather than like a quad.

tdenton1138

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
According to the source of this article (Hexus), the asterisk is an indication of a release date of 1Q10 rather than the earlier 9/6/09 for all the rest of the chips

Status
Not open for further replies.