Question Possible CPU issue?

Mar 25, 2020
Watch the, now edited, "colorful" language, please. Thank you.
Ok guys, I'm pulling my hair out right now trying to figure this out.

Specs: Ryzen 3600x, asus ROG strix b450f, 16 GB gskill 3200 ram, 2070s, 1 m2 SSD, 1 2.5" SSD, 2 3.5" HD storage drives

Last weekend, I gamed Saturday night, then browsed the internet, etc and went to bed. Sometime Sunday afternoon, I went to hop on my PC. I bluescreened while doing basically nothing (looking at what drive to possibly put doom eternal on). Kind of odd, hasn't happened before. Rebooted, bluescreened again. Rebooted, and my pc was stuck in an automatic repair loop. Wouldn't boot into windows, or the advanced recovery options, just sat at the ROG splash screen with spinning dots.

Eventually I figured <<Edited by moderator>> it, I'll just reformat and start over. Made a boot drive from media creation tool. It boots, gets to the windows logo, and sits again at the spinning dots. Can't even get to windows installer.

Things I've tried: Single stick of ram, other ram from another build, just using the m2 drive, just using the 2.5" SSD. Kind of fed up, I purchased a new motherboard today, an MSI b450 tomahawk max. Get it all installed and set up....same issue.

I'm down to basically the CPU at this point I think, which is my newest part, purchased back in January. I did find someone here with a similar problem back in December, he said he downclocked his CPU by changing the ratio to 30, and the core voltage to 1.3V. Tried that and it still isn't work.

If someone has any idea of what I can do here, PLEASE help, because this is driving me insane. PC was working for 6+ months before this with no issues...had a 2700x in it before January.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Did you try reducing your memory speed to 2133, vice the rated speed?

Have you inspected the 3600 for bent/missing/broken pins? Also, were you running the most recent BIOS versions for each motherboard?

What is the make/model of your PSU? Just to know what we are working with...

Last thing for now, what, if anything, are you attempting to OC (CPU, GPU, memory)?

Mar 25, 2020
Did you try reducing your memory speed to 2133, vice the rated speed?

Have you inspected the 3600 for bent/missing/broken pins? Also, were you running the most recent BIOS versions for each motherboard?

What is the make/model of your PSU? Just to know what we are working with...

Last thing for now, what, if anything, are you attempting to OC (CPU, GPU, memory)?

1. Yes, I did indeed reduce memory speed to default, doesn't change anything unfortunately. I reset the cmos on the rog strix at some point during my troubleshooting.

2. I just installed the new motherboard tonight and did inspect the chip, no bent pins. I took it out of the old board, cleaned the old thermal grease off the processor and heatsink, put a new dab on, and and put the cooler back on.

3. PSU is a corsair CX 600.

4. No overclocks

edit: Sorry for the language

Mar 25, 2020
So, the GPU and PSU are common on the different configs. Correct?

Do you have access to another GPU?

Try to isolate the issue. CPU failures are fairly rare.

CPU/PSU/GPU, yep. Hard drives too but I've also swapped a 240gb SSD that's blank and been rarely used outside of being in an extenal enclosure a few times.

Mar 25, 2020
Try swapping the GPU if you can. See if that makes a difference? How old is your PSU (if you know)?
Offhand not sure on the PSU, it is definitely on the older side though. 4 or 5 years maybe?

Swapped GPU with a GTX 560 I had sitting around, no luck there.

Basically down to PSU and CPU at this point. I don't think I have a PSU to test against at the moment, the one in my older PC that's just used for TV/web browsing is like a 400 watt and my wife is using it. May try to pick one up from Best Buy tomorrow or Microcenter, whichever one is less of a madhouse.

Mar 25, 2020
Try swapping the GPU if you can. See if that makes a difference? How old is your PSU (if you know)?
Wanted to follow up on this to give you closure and anyone else who comes looking for this.

It was my 2 month old CPU that was ultimately the problem.

I swapped the PSU, it didn't work, so I was finally ready to give up and take my PC to the Knowledge bar at Microcenter for the first time ever. I took it up there and talked with the guy at the counter about all I'd done so far. He told me it would be a complete waste of my money to have them look at it, and I literally did everything they would have and then some, and said it was the processor. I told him it was only 2 months old, he asked where I bought it, and I told him I got it from there. He called a manager over and even though it was outside of their return window, they exchanged the faulty one with a brand new one on the spot. Brought it home, boots right into windows setup which I could never get to before.

I'm already a Microcenter customer for life, this just cements it. amazing customer service.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Wanted to follow up on this to give you closure and anyone else who comes looking for this.

It was my 2 month old CPU that was ultimately the problem.

I swapped the PSU, it didn't work, so I was finally ready to give up and take my PC to the Knowledge bar at Microcenter for the first time ever. I took it up there and talked with the guy at the counter about all I'd done so far. He told me it would be a complete waste of my money to have them look at it, and I literally did everything they would have and then some, and said it was the processor. I told him it was only 2 months old, he asked where I bought it, and I told him I got it from there. He called a manager over and even though it was outside of their return window, they exchanged the faulty one with a brand new one on the spot. Brought it home, boots right into windows setup which I could never get to before.

I'm already a Microcenter customer for life, this just cements it. amazing customer service.
Great outcome! Glad it got sorted out. MC is generally very good to work with. I am a fan as well.