Question Possible dead PSU, need help to confirm

Nov 3, 2021
I will keep it short

My brother has pc problems, i am trying to fix it.

Pc black screens under heavy load, (playing a game/ benchmark) under normal load it works fine. I thought i was gpu problem at first, the clocks on gpu core were bouncing all over the place between 1000 mhz and 1190 mhz even tho the gpu was not overheating (rx 570 4gb). I installed that gpu in another system, ran benchmarks played games, no problem at all, core clock is at a stable 1281 mhz (what it should be).

Does this indicate a PSU problem?? (PSU is a 550w sharkoon icewind)

thanks

Ryzen 3 2200g
asrock a320 r3.0
MSI rx 570 4gb
Sharkoon silentstorm icewind 550w
1tb hdd 240gb ssd
Windows 10

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

How old is that Sharkoon PSU? Condition (original, new at some time in the past, refurbished, used)?

History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it (or know someone who does) the PSU can be tested to some extent.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not underload. However, any voltages out of spec may the PSU a prime suspect.

= = = =

One immediate thing you can do:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Something may be just a bit loose.

Nov 3, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

How old is that Sharkoon PSU? Condition (original, new at some time in the past, refurbished, used)?

History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it (or know someone who does) the PSU can be tested to some extent.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not underload. However, any voltages out of spec may the PSU a prime suspect.

= = = =

One immediate thing you can do:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Something may be just a bit loose.

Psu is 3,5 years old warrently expires at 3 year, usage was only gaming, no mining or other heavy programs

I already cleaned the pc, checked if everything was still good. I applied new thermal paste, i wiped al of my storage and reinstalled everything.

joan16v

Prominent
Jan 27, 2021
Not dead PSU, is just a PSU without enough power. Buy a new one with more watts, and be sure it's from a quality brand (EVGA, Corsair, Seasonic, Bitfenix...) and it's certified (80+ Bronze at least, 80+ Gold better).

Nov 3, 2021
Not dead PSU, is just a PSU without enough power. Buy a new one with more watts, and be sure it's from a quality brand (EVGA, Corsair, Seasonic, Bitfenix...) and it's certified (80+ Bronze at least, 80+ Gold better).
550 is more then enough for this system, also it has been running with no problems at all for 3,5 years

Ralston18

Titan
Take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the times the pc blackscreens.

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and the timeline can be very revealing.

Clicking any given error will provide more details. The details may or may not be helpful.

= = = =

By "3,5" years do you mean 3 1/2 years or 3 to 5 years old? In either case that is an aging PSU and likely nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life).

Especially with a gaming history.

Remember that PSUs provide three different voltages (3, 5, and 12) to various system components. A problem with any voltage can and will wreak havoc.

If at all possible swap in another know working PSU to test with. At least 550 watts but a bit more wattage (600 or 650) would not hurt.

And add a bit more certainty that the pc does indeed have sufficient power available.

Nov 3, 2021
How did you verify the PSU has had no problems? Verifying this would require a load tester and oscilloscope. If you have these things, could you share the readouts you got? The more information, the better.
i meant i had been running without problems for 3 1/2 years, and i figured 550w would be enough because up until now there were no problems at all. Now there is a problem, i am installing a new psu tomorrow so i will post here if that solved the problem