Question Possible difference between unmanaged switch models?

Mawla

Reputable
May 21, 2021
Regarding unmanaged ethernet switches of a given speed and number of ports, are there any other possible points of difference between models and brands - differences that may not be obvious to an end user with no in-depth knowledge of how they work? That is, apart from build quality such as soldering, gold plated contacts, etc.

Generally there is no difference. Many use exactly the same chip. These do not use software everything is done in hardware and the design has been around long enough that all the technical details have been figured out.

Pretty much the only difference would be if the switch for example comes in a metal or plastic case. Maybe if you look around enough you could find models that have internal power rather than use a ac/dc power brick. It tends to be the power that will fail if anything, but that could be because it was damaged by something coming in on the power line.

Mawla

Reputable
May 21, 2021
Thanks. I have a no-name 100Mbps switch that has been working in my home network for 20 years, and i know of others that have lasted as long. I think I'll go for the cheapest minor Chinese brand of Gigabit switch to upgrade my home network instead of a major brand costing twice as much.

Ralston18

Titan
I would not go "cheapest".

Doubtful that any new switch will last 20 years.

However, cheapest (of any origin) is not a good investment unless the item is basically disposable. And sometimes not even then.

Read product reviews, look for sales, warranties, RMA requirements etc..

There should be some suitable mid-level switch that will meet your requirements.

kanewolf

Titan
Regarding unmanaged ethernet switches of a given speed and number of ports, are there any other possible points of difference between models and brands - differences that may not be obvious to an end user with no in-depth knowledge of how they work? That is, apart from build quality such as soldering, gold plated contacts, etc.
Durability of the case. Quality of the power supply. Heat tolerance/airflow. A switch with a ventilated metal case will tolerate warm environments better, than a solid plastic case switch, for example.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks. I have a no-name 100Mbps switch that has been working in my home network for 20 years, and i know of others that have lasted as long. I think I'll go for the cheapest minor Chinese brand of Gigabit switch to upgrade my home network instead of a major brand costing twice as much.
What is your difference between 'cheapest' and 'major brand'?

If $50 vs $100, I might go cheap.
If $10 vs $20, I'd get the major brand.

Mawla

Reputable
May 21, 2021
Thanks for the replies. Points noted.
I'm in my 70s now and I doubt that I'll still be around to see if any gadget I buy today still works 20 years from now :)
I've been in electronics for a long time so I think I'll be able to cope with anything related to power supplies and thermal considerations.

Mawla

Reputable
May 21, 2021
What is your difference between 'cheapest' and 'major brand'?

If $50 vs $100, I might go cheap.
If $10 vs $20, I'd get the major brand.
Prices here start from the equivalent of US$15 to about 3 times that.
EDIT: That's for an 8-port 1 Gbps switch.

Last edited: