Possible GPU water damage

ravenscout

Commendable
Nov 21, 2017
TLDR: Can i safely test a, possibly, water damaged GPU in my new pc without ruining the other components?

A long time ago i spilled water into my pc and was thankfully able to exchange it but, i was able to keep the GPU.
I've had it since with the intention of selling it because i have a better one but ive been afraid of testing it because i don't want a fried gpu to damage my only working computer.
Assuming it IS water damaged, would sticking it into my pc ruin the other parts?

Thank you in advance

Solution
My answer is yes it will ruin other parts. Yes - only because there are no guarantees.

Damage to the GPU may not be visible and electricity will find another way to go if the normal paths are not available.

And that other way may go through the motherboard and elsewhere.

Would not risk a new PC at all.

See if you can put together an expendable PC with an old computer and just enough parts to assemble an expendable PC.

Otherwise write off the GPU and get rid of it before you get tempted into trying it anyway....

Ralston18

Titan
My answer is yes it will ruin other parts. Yes - only because there are no guarantees.

Damage to the GPU may not be visible and electricity will find another way to go if the normal paths are not available.

And that other way may go through the motherboard and elsewhere.

Would not risk a new PC at all.

See if you can put together an expendable PC with an old computer and just enough parts to assemble an expendable PC.

Otherwise write off the GPU and get rid of it before you get tempted into trying it anyway....

Solution