Possible Graphics Card Failure?

Birdyy2

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
The story begins with moving back to college for my final year. (yay!) I get in, hook up my custom build and when I turn it on only one of my monitors is displaying. I troubleshoot it a while while also troubleshooting some internet connection problems do to a faulty dorm router. Basically my gpu wasn't sending out any output to the monitor, meanwhile the monitor hooked up to my motherboard was working no problem (integrated graphics). During this I manage to get both my monitors to display. It took a handful of restarts and swapping the cables around testing to see if any of the cables were bad. But eventually it worked. I went about 48 hours with no problem until yesterday after I came back from dinner and was doing some homework. One of the monitors went out again. I didn't make any sudden movement that I can remember. I decided to give the computer a restart to see if it work with no luck. I've now tried re-seating the gpu a couple times, and have re-seated nearly every connection in the computer. The graphics card isn't being registered by the PC itself and I'm beginning to fear that the GPU has gone bad. I never noticed any artifacting and the temperatures on the gpu were fine at the time of the failure. I'm currently trying to find someone with a custom pc that i could test the GPU out in. One of my other fears is that the PCI-slot on the motherboard itself is broken. One of the two slots is already broken on my pc. It failed when an older gpu I had died 3 years ago. Was wondering if anyone had any more ideas to try out to potentially save the gpu... or if there was a way to test the PCI-E slot without having a second GPU or someones else donor pc to test the gpu.