[SOLVED] Possible MOBO failure or HDD failure - not sure

Feb 5, 2019
I've been running into a lot of problems with my computer recently. And I apologize if this is a bit wordy, and I feel that I need to write everything out for the issue to be understood.

I built it in either 2014 or 2015. To preface this both my RAM and my HDD are from a previous build and I've been using both for roughly maybe 10 years, if not longer? This is why I'm not sure whether it's my MOBO or these older components. I've been encountering odd problems for about 2 weeks now. I have NOT encountered any blue screens whatsoever.

The first issue was that my monitor wasn't detecting input from my graphics card, I remedied this by shutting my computer off and troubleshooting my RAM by removing all of my RAM and then starting up the computer and shutting it off testing each ram (4x2gb). That issue appears to be resolved and I haven't had it since.

The most recent issue is that whenever I try to put any new files onto my HDD the HDD appears to have issues like stuttering and then it states that there has been a "Fatal Harddisk Failure". When this occurs I try to scan the HDD to no avail and then shortly afterwards it is no longer visible under "My Computer". So I opened up my case unplugged it from the MOBO and then plugged it back in again and I can access the files on it but I can't put anything new on it or else it appears to start this cycle again.

I can still watch things off of the HDD but it appears that it's slower to load folders and the like, I can also move stuff off of the HDD.

Now I'm concerned that it's a MOBO issue because of what I have listed above, but I'm not really 100% certain so I'm hoping someone here can assist me.

- I have yet to try using memtest on my RAM to see if that's an issue, I last ran it about a year ago.
- I noticed the issues with my HDD when I was torrenting anime.

CPU - Intel i5 - 4690k - not overclocked
Motherboard - Asrock Z97M Anniversary
RAM - (4x2GB) Samsung - off hand can't tell you (might update)
CPU cooler - Stock
Video Card - GTX 960 G1 Gaming Edition 2GB
Power Supply - Corsair CX 500 - 500 wat - Model #75-001667
Hard drive(s) - Western Digital 1.5 TB (ancient)
SSD - Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Operating System - Windows 10 64bit Home Edition
Case - Bitfenix Comrade (awful case)

Some other issues that may be symptomatic of a failing MOBO:
1) Some of the USB slots no longer function
2) One of the USB slots (as far as I know) only produces MONO sound on my headphones, meaning only one of the sides works.

Steps I've taken so far:

1) Error Checked the disk
a) When the disk is malfunctioning the error checking doesn't work, after I've unplugged and plugged the HDD back in again disk checking works again and shows no errors.
2) I've unplugged the HDD and plugged it back in again
3) With regards to troubleshooting I've:
a) Checked my CPU - Has run "Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool"
b) Checked my GPU - Physically checked GPU, haven't had any problems with it.
c) Done a basic check of RAM by unplugging and restarting with each piece taken out and put back in again. - I HAVE NOT DONE A MEMTEST RECENTLY
d) Physically checked my PSU for problems
e) Physically checked my MOBO for problems
f) Physically checked my RAM for problems.

I have not run into any more issues in the last hour after unplugging and replugging in my HDD, however, I fear that I may run into this problem again soon and would like to find out what is actually causing the issue.

I'm sorry for the lengthy and wordy post and I would be most grateful for any assistance whatsoever. Hope you all have a fantastic night and a great week.

Solution
The most recent issue is that whenever I try to put any new files onto my HDD the HDD appears to have issues like stuttering and then it states that there has been a "Fatal Harddisk Failure". When this occurs I try to scan the HDD to no avail and then shortly afterwards it is no longer visible under "My Computer".
So the HDD is going to die. Don't use the PC anymore, you should buy a new HDD ASAP. After you get the new HDD, copy all the data into other storage, like USB, etc.

Then use "Acronis True Image WD Edition" to clone whole drive into the new HDD. https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=ja If the HDD is die, and you don't have any copy of your OS/files, then anything will be gone.
The most recent issue is that whenever I try to put any new files onto my HDD the HDD appears to have issues like stuttering and then it states that there has been a "Fatal Harddisk Failure". When this occurs I try to scan the HDD to no avail and then shortly afterwards it is no longer visible under "My Computer".
So the HDD is going to die. Don't use the PC anymore, you should buy a new HDD ASAP. After you get the new HDD, copy all the data into other storage, like USB, etc.

Then use "Acronis True Image WD Edition" to clone whole drive into the new HDD. https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=ja If the HDD is die, and you don't have any copy of your OS/files, then anything will be gone.

Solution