Question Possible PSU Failure?

Gragy Magnum

Commendable
Jul 22, 2017
Hi there,

I was shutting down my computer down for the night. Came back a few minutes later realizing the computer still wasn't off and nothing was showing up on the monitors.

I tried holding down the power button for several seconds, and the computer remained on.

So I switched off the button on the PSU. Then tried turning the PC on again and nothing would happen whatsoever.

I tried different outlets, unplugged and replugged but nothing.

From reading online, several people mentioned it may be a PSU issue or the actual power button is broken. But my PC was fine this morning and I never touched it and suddenly it's no longer working.

I am wondering if this is a PSU issue or another issue. Any help to debug is appreciated. I've never had this kind of an issue before.

Thanks

PC Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: EVGA 500W 80 Plus
Motherboard: ASRock A320M-HDV

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I live in Canada.

Are you referring to one of these models?
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MRW2K79/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JGebEbVXRNXZP

Yup. It's a budget PSU and not something I'd want to try setting overclocking records on or using with a $1000 GPU, but the CX 550 is more than adequate for your needs.

Definitely get it from Amazon or somewhere else you can easily return, just in case this doesn't resolve the issue and you don't have the budget to upgrade your PSU right now if it's not the problem.

Gragy Magnum

Commendable
Jul 22, 2017
Yup. It's a budget PSU and not something I'd want to try setting overclocking records on or using with a $1000 GPU, but the CX 550 is more than adequate for your needs.

Definitely get it from Amazon or somewhere else you can easily return, just in case this doesn't resolve the issue and you don't have the budget to upgrade your PSU right now if it's not the problem.

Alright. I'll order this and test it out.
I'll post an update when I can.

Thank you

Seems as though it might be a motherboard problem. Complete death is often indicative of a motherboard failure if not a PSU failure. You probably have done this but try a different power outlet, and unplug everything (literally everything that it doesn't need to turn on) unplug the hard drives, remove a stick of RAM, unplug the keyboard, mouse... etc to see if you get any sign of life. If not then its probably a motherboard issue ruling out the PSU.

Gragy Magnum

Commendable
Jul 22, 2017
Several days ago I was experimenting with changing my RAM speeds to see what works. I used the XMP profiles and read online it should be safe that way.

I tested speeds at 2400, 2699 or something like that, and 3000.

I ended up sticking with 2699 (don't remember the exact number) and everything worked fine for the next several days. I was constantly using my PC and playing games and what not and everything was fine.

Could it be this that caused the issue? If so do you know what might have happened?

Gragy Magnum

Commendable
Jul 22, 2017
Oh my gosh. I removed the battery for a few seconds, put it back and everything is booting normally.

I checked the BIOS all drives and RAM is recognized and running at original speeds. Temps are between 27-33 for all the major components.

I was able to boot into windows as well.

Everything seems to working.

the LED color on the power button is both red and blue, is that an issue? I did reinstall those connections following the manual.

Apart from that, things look fine. Can I ask what exactly happened after reinstalling the battery?